PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts

Reef_Ready
01-18-2002, 12:03 AM
Hello, my name is Ray and this is my first post on your board. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to hobby, and have been doing my research for the last couple of months (also lurking on the news groups and this board). I’m ready to purchase a tank and just wanted to get everyone’s opinion. I’m looking at the Oceanic 72g reef ready Bowfront. My question to all of you is… will I be kicking myself in 6 months because I didn’t get a bigger tank? I keep reading the “I wish I got a bigger tank” posts.

Anyway, love to hear what you think. I’m sure I’ll be getting to know you all quite well over the next several months as I get started.

BTW I’d like join if you are (or have) put together a local Marine club as I read in the posts before Christmas. I’m located in Port Coquitlam.

Thanks!

titus
01-18-2002, 12:41 AM
Hello,

Welcome to join this very warm and nice family. You will be happy to see many new features to be added in the coming time.

Now to answer your question, it is really a personal opinion.

Pros:
Obviously the bigger, the bolder and grander.
You get more thrill running a larger tank.
Water parameters won't change as drastic compared to a small tank.
More room to grow and for your species to thrive.

Cons:
Higher up front cost, not because of the tank but the equipment as well.
Weight problem in your house (ie your floor may not be built for a super duper tank).
Expensive for laying a DSB and salt for your water mix.
More places to scrub your algae off, if you have it.

One thing you may not have read as often is that going for a smaller tank may not mean you are a less skilled marine keeper. Sometimes, it's the very skilled and experienced who wants the challenge to run a tiny dingy tank.

If you have specific things you want to talk, please PM me as that has a higher chance of getting to me in case I missed your post.

Happy browsing.

Troy F
01-18-2002, 01:59 AM
Hello and welcome to the board.

Honestly, I think that the only reasons not to go bigger are: cost then space and weight would have to be figured in on really big tanks.

You will want bigger. Just about everyone that starts in the hobby seems to anyway.

Axial Corillite
01-18-2002, 03:44 AM
I havent been here for long . but welcome.I would say cost is a big one in relation to size My 10g nano reef costs me about $5 a month in aditives and salt. My 120g about $50-60. future 255g!!!!!!!!(still working on the wife) images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Reef_Ready
01-19-2002, 02:11 AM
Thanks very much for the replies and the warm welcome guys... I decided against the 72g based on some of the feedback. I think I'm going to go with a 120g (48"x24"x24") AGA with one of their black stands... have to keep my wife happy. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

[ 18 January 2002: Message edited by: Reef_Ready ]</p>

DJ88
01-19-2002, 02:18 AM
Ahhh good size tank. have one sitting in my storage locker.. Someday.

Patrick,

You'd be suprised what you can do with a 33. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif images/smiles/icon_razz.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Reef_Ready
01-19-2002, 02:30 AM
Actually I wouldn't be surprised... I've seen yours... I'm jealous. LOL

Shadetree
01-19-2002, 03:33 AM
IMO the 120 does make for a nice footprint for a reef. You will probably be happier in the long run opting for the bigger tank.

Scott

Jack
01-19-2002, 04:07 AM
hey, a bowfront might be a pain in the butt to scrape algae off, expecially if it is an arcylic tank you would have to be so careful... just my two cents

DJ88
01-19-2002, 04:23 AM
Personally I think those who go big are compensating for other things lacking.

LOL!!!!!!!

Sorry guys couldn't resist..

BCReefer
01-19-2002, 04:56 AM
First of all welcome images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I wish I found this board before I started.

I only have a 33G and I wish I waited a little longer to save up some more money and for a bigger tank. There is so much more I want to do but I can’t. try to go as big as you can afford.

My 2 cents worth.

Patrick

canadawest
01-19-2002, 05:36 PM
Hey I am sumpless! images/smiles/icon_redface.gif

But I have a nice small 10gal refugium! images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

It's not the size of the tank, it's how you use it!!!

BCReefer
01-19-2002, 06:46 PM
I might have a small tank but I know how to use it. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

The reason I really, really want to go with a 5’ or 6’ tank is the ability to have some open spots on the sand to put some claims or what nots down. It also gives some room for fish to swim.

My really long term is to get the longest tank I can that is 24” wide and about 24” tall. Of course this would all be within reason and budget.

Reef_Ready
01-20-2002, 04:44 AM
Ahhhh... you mean like too small a sump, right Darren? images/smiles/icon_wink.gif