PDA

View Full Version : What Sand for a deep Sand bed

DJ88
08-24-2001, 07:33 PM
You won't find much in the way of southdown here. Sorry to say. Had someone else ask that one. and I have been down that road myself. The best bet for sand here is going to J&L or Big Al's and getting A mix of sands available. I have used just the sugar sand(Aragamax) and it works great. Some will say to have a % mix tho. with different size grains. I wish I could remember the ratio but seem to be having a brain fart. Pick the other guys brains here on the board or go to Reefcentral and reefs.org and see what you can find there in the searches.

Troy F
08-24-2001, 10:53 PM
Dr. Toonen's opinion on the sand bed of preferenc:sand recipe (http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen23.html)

I think Scott may have a way of getting more Southdown but he hasn't finished working it out yet.

Cyntax
08-25-2001, 04:12 AM
Ok, so it seems that having a deep sand bed in your tank is the way to go (about 4"). I've read on the internet that getting that SouthDown Tropical Play Sand is the best and cheapest way to go. However I can't find any store in the Lower Mainland that has it. Any other suggestions for a good (and somewhat cheap) sand?

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: Cyntax ]