PDA

View Full Version : algae

BigT
05-23-2007, 12:47 AM
hi new to the hobby. Started my tank May 17, Its a 65 gallon tank with a sump, 75 pounds of live rock with two coral life metal halide clamp on lights. Last friday started noticing a little bit of algae growing, today tuesday most of my live rock with exposed surfaces seem to have a green fuzzy algae on it. Is this a big problem and if so how can I correct it so my tank isn't overrun by the time I add any fish/inverts/corals.

Thanks

DanG
05-23-2007, 01:23 AM
What kind of water do you use? RO, RODI, store bought, tap water? Do you run a skimmer? How much flow in the tank? Have you measured your alk levels lately? How old are your light bulbs?

marie
05-23-2007, 01:49 AM
Algae is all part of the process of cycling a new tank but you might want to nip this one in the bud by doing a large water change and then go out and buy a variety of snails and hermit crabs (if you want them).

I would also wait at least 2 months if not longer before adding any fish, this will allow pods and worms to proliferate which are a fairly important part of your clean up crew

Der_Iron_Chef
05-23-2007, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I'd definitely point to the water source, too. Having said that, I think hair algae (which is what you seem to be describing) is inevitable to most aquarists, and especially to new/cycling tanks.

I would limit the photoperiod, too, during the cycling period.

Tangman
05-23-2007, 04:49 AM
Welcome to Canreef !
Like Marie and Der_Iron_Chef said the algae bloom is part of the ageing/ cycle process and will pass , but if you are using tap water with high nitrates, phosphates or high total dissolved solids (TDS) the bloom will last a long time or even never end, most people will recommend getting a RO/DI filter and do a lot more research.
Good luck and happy reef keeping !