PDA

View Full Version : Regulator/needle valve question for calcium reactor

trilinearmipmap
05-22-2007, 05:14 AM
I am setting up my new calcium reactor, up till now I have done kalk and 2-part.

I had an old regulator and needle valve, I just realized it is junk, the needle valve won't adjust well, the regulator I am not sure about, so I'll buy a new one.

I am not running it on a controller.

Should I just get a regulator with needle valve or should I get one with a solenoid as well.

Even though I don't use a controller I was thinking the solenoid might help in case of a power outage, preventing the calcium reactor from getting filled up with Co2 which could cause an air lock when the power comes back on.

Never having used a calcium reactor before I want to hear advice from people with some experience.

Tangman
05-22-2007, 12:01 PM
I am setting up my new calcium reactor, up till now I have done kalk and 2-part.

I had an old regulator and needle valve, I just realized it is junk, the needle valve won't adjust well, the regulator I am not sure about, so I'll buy a new one.

I am not running it on a controller.

Should I just get a regulator with needle valve or should I get one with a solenoid as well.

Even though I don't use a controller I was thinking the solenoid might help in case of a power outage, preventing the calcium reactor from getting filled up with Co2 which could cause an air lock when the power comes back on.

Never having used a calcium reactor before I want to hear advice from peopsle with some experience.
The solenoid just doesn't prevent a air lock , it prevents the reactor from filling up with Co2 when the power goes out and then when the power comes back on floods your tank with Co2 and lowers the PH of your whole tank. Also don't buy one of those Milwaukie all in ones as they are cheep and where out fast.
My 2 cents,......

trilinearmipmap
05-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Which one would you recommend?

Pescador
05-22-2007, 07:48 PM
I've had good luck with Aqua Medic regulators and Aqualine-Bushke M-Ventil solenoid.
The needle valve on the regulator sets a working presssure of between 1-2 BAR and I use a Red Sea needle valve to adjust the bubble rate.

mark
05-23-2007, 06:24 AM
Purchased a solenoid from Princess Auto for ~$25 that I have running off a 12v power supply plugged into the wall. Works no problem, not sure of the price compared to a valve dedicated for aquarium use but imagine a little cheaper.