PDA

View Full Version : WTB single MH ballast/bulb/assembly required...hehehe

EmilyB
12-13-2002, 06:04 AM
Nothing fancy in spectrum, I just need something to put on the 44g - I'd like to move the BTA's and maroons up there. No urgency.

No coralifes. :P

zulu_principle
12-13-2002, 07:03 AM
I have purchased a few from these guys.

www.aquaticlight.com

Wendell

Dez
12-13-2002, 03:47 PM
I have a 400W one? 6500K bulb that's only 1 month old.... Trade for a clown tang?...he he...just kidding...would 400W be overkill?

I also have a coralife pendant, 175W

Des

Canadian Man
12-13-2002, 04:07 PM
Deb,
I too have some aluminum pendants and bare ballast's that need to be assembled in a box(yes I can do this for you :P ). No bulb though.

But if Dez will sell you the pendant then that would probably be more attractive if he will give you a reasonable price.

EmilyB
12-13-2002, 07:19 PM
Thanks all !

Thinking about it a bit more, I suppose it makes sense to stick to something that will run either the 175w Ushios bulbs or the 250w Sunburst bulbs from downstairs so I'll have a supply of used bulbs......

I think I need XXX? ballast for the Ushios however, and the Sunbursts need regular core ballasts.

Now that I have confused myself, maybe I should talk to you and Dez over the holidays while he is down here.

Canadian Man
12-13-2002, 08:11 PM
Dez is going to be here between christmas and new years, This is what he told me.
The ballast's that I have are a core ballast.

rossb
12-13-2002, 10:28 PM
Des would that be a 175 W mogul base pendant...the smaller sized one...with a ballast perhaps?? My dog has been raking her brain trying to figure out what to get me for christmas....

AJ_77
12-15-2002, 12:47 AM
Let me know what you find Deb, the 2x55 PC fixture over my own 33 has apparently tired of this world... :roll:

Yay, now I get to play electrician! Anyone have any experience with these? Think it's a basic All-Glass fixture, 36", 2x55W PC.

Of course, a pendant would be superior, but this is so simple - plug 'n' play. Hope it's fixable. I may need a superhero. Hmmm... perhaps Canadian Man?

Alan :D

EmilyB
12-15-2002, 01:16 AM
Well Dez and I are discussing it......he must be out PARTYING now tho... :shock: :lol:

PC's suck... :P :wink:

StirCrazy
12-15-2002, 02:56 AM
the 2x55 PC fixture over my own 33 has apparently tired of this world... :roll:

Alan :D

Send them out I'll fix them :wink:

Steve

Canadian Man
12-15-2002, 03:07 AM
Alan,
Yea I heard it through the grapevine that you were having a lighting crisis.

I don't know anything about pc's but I am sure they cant be that dificult and I learn fast. :wink:

Bob I
12-15-2002, 03:10 AM
Let me know what you find Deb, the 2x55 PC fixture over my own 33 has apparently tired of this world... :roll:

Yay, now I get to play electrician! Anyone have any experience with these? Think it's a basic All-Glass fixture, 36", 2x55W PC.

Could you tell mw what is wrong with the fixture? It is not all that old. And yes I am an electrician.

StirCrazy
12-15-2002, 03:48 AM
yes I am an electrician.

I still think you are not a electrition but rather one of thoes eveil spelling teachers with the long rulers :shock:

Steve

AJ_77
12-15-2002, 05:49 AM
Bob, the timer stuck at 12:00 midnight, so the unit wasn't on when I checked the tank about 3 PM (we were out with the kids all day). BUT, then it wouldn't fire up at all, not through the timer, not directly in the wall socket, nothing.

So, next step is take it apart and see if there's something obvious... Don't know what could have failed - the bulbs? Both at the same time? The ballast, a connection, wiring? Have to see.

And the timer sticking - a contributing factor? How? So many questions, and yes the fixture is next to new, hardly a mark on it.

Alan :?

Bob I
12-15-2002, 03:46 PM
So, next step is take it apart and see if there's something obvious... Don't know what could have failed - the bulbs? Both at the same time? The ballast, a connection, wiring? Have to see.

I would be inclined to NOT take it apart. Those things are hard to take apart. It may be the switch that is causing a problem. I could have a look. The fixture was purchased at Big Al's in the summer of 2000. There may still be warranty. I will look into that. In the meantime you could borrow my 36" two tube fixture until we resolve the problems with the PC fixture.

AJ_77
12-15-2002, 07:42 PM
Bob, that would be great. I should pick up your 36" FL "loaner" today sometime. They are in their second day of semi-darkness here, and I would like to have a better light source for tomorrow.

And hopefully we can take a look at the PC as you suggest.

Alan

Bob I
12-15-2002, 08:00 PM
No problem. I can only see one other possible problem with the PC Light. That being that if you used it over open water, you may have shorted something out.

AJ_77
12-15-2002, 08:22 PM
No of course not - been using the glass top. Even the unit has a sticker saying so: "Do not use over open water!" I'm blaming the timer, somehow.

Bob I
12-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Sorry lad, there is no way that the timer could have any effect on the light. The timer is a switch that either supplies power or not. It cannot pass any higher voltage than that available at the outlet. No, we have to look at something else. :( :(

Dez
12-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Nope, I haven't been partying...just busy and I don't have regular internet access. Deb and I are still working things out for all of you who have inquired about the pendant... Thanks...

Des

EmilyB
12-17-2002, 02:17 AM
Thanks guys, Dez and I have a deal. 8)