PDA

View Full Version : Neon/Sharknose goby lifespan??

christyf5
05-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Anyone had one of these longer than a couple of years? I noticed on wetwebmedia that it says 1-2 years. I noticed one of my sharknose gobies isn't as interested in food as he used to be and not as robust looking either. He still eats but not much. Mine is approaching 2 years in my tank so I was wondering if this is a definite given or if I should just try plugging him with more food (which I am going to try anyways).

RonPeter
05-20-2007, 09:01 PM
I've had my Shark Nosed Goby for 1.5 years so I can't help you but I hope he lives a long time!

justinl
05-20-2007, 09:20 PM
yeah their typical lifespan from birth to death (not necessarily just in your tank) is 1-3 years (3 at the very most).

the nice thing is that despite the short life, they reproduce in captivity very well and thus are readily available. let us know how the feeding goes. maybe he just found another food source in your tank?

christyf5
05-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Well if he had found another food source he wouldn't be looking so.... well I'd call it a bit better than emaciated. Basically his head is bigger than his trunk. I like my fish (especially gobies) to be fuller throughout that area and he is looking much less "healthy" (read: less of a fatarse) than he used to. Thing is I can't even get him looking full by feeding him as he stops eating after about 4-5 tiny food pieces. Perhaps I should investigate finding a some new food. Maybe he's tired of what I feed (sweetwater zooplankton, mysis and Faunamarin UltraHealth).

Could be he's just moody because he doesn't have a girlfriend :razz: I see he's cozying up to my lined blenny lately. "hey baby, come here often?" :wink:

justinl
05-20-2007, 10:43 PM
lol. i suggest trying cyclopeeze. a very good food and my neons go mad over the stuff.

christyf5
05-21-2007, 12:14 AM
yeah I have some of that, both the frozen and the flake. I find the flake sucks up all the moisture in the air. No matter how hard I screw the lid on, it ends up as a giant lump after about 2 months. Guess I could bake it in the oven first :razz: