PDA

View Full Version : Anenome dead??

jordsy
05-18-2007, 03:42 AM
I have a Long Tip anenome. Its been through some ruff times with me starting out on my first reef tank. Through the mistakes it always shrivled up a bit untill I figured out what i was doing wrong. I thought i had the levels mastered and my anenome was doing great it doubled in size and is about the size of a Large dinner plate. I added some buffer to the tank about a tabel spoon like I always do and the anenome shot under a rock and under the sand. Its never done this before. What happened and how can i help it survive?

EmilyB
05-18-2007, 05:10 AM
LTA's will dive under the sand, even when startled. It should come up and then you can evaluate. :biggrin:

Delphinus
05-18-2007, 05:10 AM
It's not dead, but it's reacting to the change of chemistry of the water from adding buffer. I noticed (back in the days I was dosing 2 part alk/Ca additives instead of a calcium reactor) that my anemones were particularly sensitive to alkalinity/buffer additives.

He'll be fine - but next time don't add as much. Eventually, you'll get your levels to where you want them to be and the anemone won't react as much.

A dead anemone literally loses cohesion and turns into a snotty pile of goo. It's quite vile. There's no mistaking it.