PDA

View Full Version : Bicolor blenny...

X-Treme
05-18-2007, 12:21 AM
I know "someone" on canreef had a bicolor and it was their fav. fish. Hoping "this person" or anyone else can answer a couple questions...

1. Peaceful? I've read they can be "mean" to other fish or sometimes to corals as well. (It will be in a 36ish custom with 2 percs, yellowhead jawfish, and hopefully one day a green mandarin. Is he gonna not like all these bottom and rock dwelling fish?)

2. General care and feeding? Any special foods? (vegetarians, right?) Nori? Algae?

3. Any other useful info for me?

REALLY wanting one of these guys. Seems like a very cool fish.

TIA to all who reply.

Kronk
05-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Blennies are a cool fish i will always have one in my tank. They are generally only mean to there own species but they wont back down if the clowns try and chase them.

They are an extrememly forgiving fish in terms of care and feeding. Regular fish food will be accepted and if there is algae in your aquarium you probably wont have to supplement them with nori.

Go for it, they are inexpensive and have tons of character just dont keep two in a tank that size.

Cheers,
Ken

fishface
05-18-2007, 12:41 AM
i kept mine with no problems for over a year...then i had to give him away cause he was nipping clam mantle. overall, no other prob's though.

j83
05-18-2007, 01:19 AM
Funny you ask this, I am just about to catch mine as he is bothering my clam. Super easy fish to keep though. Eats just about anything, isn't aggressive- doesn't bother my mandarin and doesn't really care for my midas blenny either.

Chaloupa
05-18-2007, 03:08 AM
ask "andsoitgoes" it was his fav. fish....I would have to be on the other side of it...mine was ok to corals but everytime we put our hand in the tank he would go for us immediately! He bit my husband more times than I can count...and there was no way to get him out...he also harassed my clowns, and would chase a few of the other fish...I muchly prefer my Midas to the Bi-color I had.

andsoitgoes
05-18-2007, 05:32 AM
hehe -yeah, that's my schmuckers. He was the most docile and simply amazing fish I've ever had.

However I've heard other stories about other bi-colors, of course I would have the one who breaks all the rules and goes against the standard, he never nipped at my hand, would go crazy when I came near the tank with my feeding tube, and was just a total character!!

I think yours would be a good addition to your tank, but as far as the personality, they vary so much - Mine loved all other fish, didn't bother ANYONE - and this was in a 7g bowfront, and he'd been in there with at least 1 other fish for months upon months.

just goes to show every fish is different!!

My next fav is my dwarf angelfish though, one of the best purchases I've made as well!

ron101
05-19-2007, 07:58 PM
I've had three of them and all were easy going but would not take any crap from other fish.

The first two jumped. Now I have my tank completely covered.