PDA

View Full Version : Alk levels in your tank

StirCrazy
12-12-2002, 10:24 PM
I am interested in your Alk levels and the coralation to the color of corals (maby I should say do you think your color is better than average).
Values are expressed in DKH.

Steve

Aquattro
12-12-2002, 10:42 PM
Steve, just to add to this, a recent comment by Eric Borneman suggests food and water movement as major contributing factors to color.
You are correct about great colors in so many different lighting combos. I think light is over emphazised a lot in coral color.

StirCrazy
12-12-2002, 10:44 PM
Steve, just to add to this, a recent comment by Eric Borneman suggests food and water movement as major contributing factors to color.
You are correct about great colors in so many different lighting combos. I think light is over emphazised a lot in coral color.

ya I suspect this also.. I think everything contributes.. I guess I just want to see if one is low if it will affect the color.. so if your alk is low and you give them enuf lights and food.. will the color fade a bit..

Steve

ldzielak
12-13-2002, 06:34 AM
Steve,

I have not voted, but I'm sure my levels are not what they were in Daren's tank and 1 of the corals I got of him has slowly faded some. Now I think I got the reactor licked, so levels shoud be on the way back up.

Second is my lighting is not as strong, but the coral is directly under one 175 MH 10K and only has 2 inches of water above. All the other corals have had good growth. And I think that this is not the mayjor factor in the fade. But I will be adding a 250 soon just to see. I'm thinking of a 20K if I can find one.

Lee