PDA

View Full Version : sps burn?

tang daddy
05-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Hey guys just have some questions and would be greatfull to get opinions on sps, I started collecting a few frags a while back and upgraded the lights on my tank from 175w to 400w. As I learned quickly that 10000k scorches stuff in no time I rushed out to JL's to pick up a more blue bulb. Threw my stupidity I bleached a few candycane melted half my mushroom collection and various other mishaps but lets not get into that and concetrate more on what's at steak. 14000k bulb a few rearrangements and things are starting to colour up so I P/U a green bottle top acro and started it off about midway down which is what I do everytime with frags sometimes on the sand, then moved up to the top about 4in from the top surface and 2 more to the 400w MH is after a week that I noticed it getting faded light colour on the part that was facing the MH the underside normal still so is the coral getting bleached or actually growing?

christyf5
05-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Most likely it is attempting to acclimate to the lighting. I don't know about growing but its definitely changing its zooxanthellae populations as it no longer needs as many to survive. The underside is shaded so still requires the same populations it had before. Likely it will change colors as time progresses.:biggrin:

danny zubot
05-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Do you have any actinics? I used to notice this same phenomenom when I only had 1 400 watt 14K bulb. Getting any kind of even coloration was difficult. Within a week or so of adding actinics all of my acros had full color.