PDA

View Full Version : Hydor Koralia 3's, 2 too many for a 40g tank?

DanG
05-16-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm looking at upgrading the flow in my tank. As is, I have 2 seio 620's in there. Would going from 1240gph to 1700gph in a 3 foot long tank be too much? I'm not having any problems with buildup, and the 620's aren't creating any sandstorms, but don't want to stress my inhabitants by just adding all this extra flow. I've got a softball sized colony of both frogspawn and candy cane coral, one lonely acro and 2 GBTA's. A couple of chromis, a maroon clown, a 2 inch foxface and a bunch of snails and crabs.

Too much? Should I be looking at the Korila 2's?

Chowder
05-16-2007, 09:46 PM
From what I have heard is that there is something wrong with the Koralia 2's and 3's right now. I think they have been recalled. You mostly can find only 1's and 4's right now. I run 2 1100 rio's and a 1500 Sei and a 1100 rio on a return and a PS2 running a small closed loop on a 65 sps tank with sand. I have no problem with sand storms or inhabitants . I don't think it will be to much. That just my opinion though

DanG
05-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Weird. J&L is showing the 3's in stock. I did read something on RC about the 3's shocking people, but Hydor was quick to replace them. I'll see if I can find the thread again to see how old it was.

DanG
05-17-2007, 02:18 AM
looks like people who were having problems were having them about mid april, and there weren't any complaints as of late that I could find.

So too much flow?

albert_dao
05-17-2007, 02:35 AM
The short answer is no. The long answer is the amount of flow your tank can handle is mostly dependant upon your rockwork and animal placement. If you have all your more sensitive corals located in areas where the rocks naturally force calmer currents, then you shouldn't have any issues with your flow.

danny zubot
05-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Wouldn't it more cost effective just to get one Hydor 4?

DanG
05-17-2007, 07:37 PM
the 4's are bigger, closer in size to the seio 620's I'm trying to get rid of, and that would only let me have flow in one spot, with 2 of them, then it's easier to fine tune the flow.

I'm not to worried about the money, tax refund just got deposited, so I've got a bit of money to have some fun with.