PDA

View Full Version : fish for 30g cube

fishoholic
05-16-2007, 07:27 PM
I have just set up a 30g cube tank with 2 false percs, 1 green clown goby, 1 sexy shrimp, 1 pom pom crab, LR, and zoos over to it. I was wondering if I could add a wrasse and what kind? Update: the wrasse is out because my boyfriend doesn't want a lid on the tank that will block out light. Any thoughts as to other types of small fish we could get? Thanks:biggrin:

saltaddict
05-16-2007, 08:07 PM
You should'nt get a sixline wrasse as it may eat your sexy shrimp. Actually what you should do is buy more sexy shrimp so that it has friends. You also run the risk of your boyfriend beating you if you buy any more fish. :eek:

justinl
05-16-2007, 08:30 PM
two words: flasher wrasse.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/ht/index.php

scroll down and pick a species.

corpusse
05-16-2007, 08:50 PM
make sure you have a tight fitting lid

fishoholic
05-16-2007, 09:12 PM
You also run the risk of your boyfriend beating you if you buy any more fish. :eek:

You'd never beat me you love me too much :razz:

The flasher wrasse sounds cool but our clown fish are aggressive (they leave the goby alone, I think beacuse he's so small) However they ripped apart a firefish:sad: and I do not want them to hurt a more peaceful fish. If we get a wrasse I will get a tight fitting lid.

Delphinus
05-16-2007, 09:12 PM
I *think* one of the smaller wrasses such as a 6line wrasse or a fairy wrasse (note not all fairy wrasses are equal - some do get larger than others, so check what species you'd like). The two downsides, 6lines do tend to get cranky as they age (mine killed a mandarin :( ), and fairy wrasses jump. In fact, I would suggest do not *ever* put a fairy wrasse into an open top tank, and make sure that the canopy is enclosed well enough that when they *do* jump, they get bounced back into the tank. If you have a cross brace in the tank I'd even think twice about it. Eurobracing should be OK though since they'll likely just flop about until they fall in again. I lost a pair (both fish of the pair) one night because the hood hatch was left open after feeding. :cry:

fishoholic
05-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Bump, because of changes

Der_Iron_Chef
05-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Moorish Idol. Heh. (I kid, I kid)

I'm partial to various types of pygmy angelfish, like the flame angel or lemonpeel angel. Some of them nip at corals and clams, though....but then again, some don't :biggrin:

kwirky
05-17-2007, 10:09 PM
a sweetlips :D

Delphinus
05-17-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm not sure what the recommendations are for tank sizes for the pygmy angels. To be honest, for me, a 30g would be pushing the limits on the small size for one of those, although certainly could be done for a while if you got a small one (and then had a plan to give her a bigger home when she gets bigger), but, it sucks to have to give up fish. Check the recommendations, other people might know it better than me, but like I said, for me I think a 30g would be on the small side.

Small tank fish that come to mind: bicolor blenny, orchid dottyback, various gobies, royal gramma basslet, a blue assessor ...

I think I've seen Firefish recommended for tanks in the 30g range but they too are jumpers, so a non-lid tank is a no-no for firefish IMO.

These are just suggestions "off the top of my head", you should double-check that 30g is within the recommendations for tanksizes for these.

fishoholic
05-17-2007, 11:34 PM
I'll read more info on a fish before buying and I check tank size/if they jump etc. Right now I'm looking for ideas or what other people keep with their perc's in a smallish tank. Thanks everyone for the imput so far:biggrin:

kadaytar
05-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey Laurie,
If you are running that nano skimmer over new 30 Gal i don't reccomend adding any other fish. But if you have a decent protein skimmer that can handle 30 gallon i believe one of these guys will be a good addition. I kept a Royal Gramma in a 35 gallon with a pair of ocellaris clowns and a coral beauty angel but my clowns weren't agressive. Pseudochromis fridmani or Black Cap Basslet may be other options.They both are nicely colored , semi-agressive and territorial and good for 30 gallon. So I don't think that they will be intimidated by the clowns . Both sides will pick up their own territories and they won't touch eachother.

saltaddict
05-18-2007, 06:10 PM
We are running the AquaC remora on the 30G. Didnt sell so I put it to use.

tang daddy
05-18-2007, 06:22 PM
I would just like to say to use caution with adding a dottyback probally not the best option they're really agressive when they get larger and I saw that you had a goby. Pseudochromis are bastard fish mine killed my orange sand sifter so for punishment I stripped my reef to catch this freak and threw him in the fowler literally. Wrasses are cool but fairly expensive and jump so not too good also I heard that they sometimes turn on corals when they get larger dont know what species but read the thread on canreef a while back too bad your clowns are so mean otherwise I would put a few neon gobies in they're so cute and actually clean ich or other parisites off fish also love it when they're chillin on corals and in holes. As for bioload on these fish near to none Cheers Chris.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-18-2007, 07:47 PM
I know they're very common, but I like my Green Chromis (Chromii?) Anyway...they're kind of dumb and cute. Great personality, swim all over, very active. They get along very well with my Maroon Clown.

Delphinus
05-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah I pretty much only recommend Psuedochromis fridmani, they're smaller and least aggressive of the dottybacks. The others are all quite mean. I've always heard fridmani's are not as bad as the others, though.

fishoholic
05-18-2007, 08:54 PM
I would just like to say to use caution with adding a dottyback probally not the best option they're really agressive when they get larger and I saw that you had a goby. Pseudochromis are bastard fish

I have a green clown goby 1/2" that stays near the bottom of the tank and hides under rock 95% of the time. He is so small that my clowns don't bother him at all, I guess they feel he's not worth their time. I kind of need a bastard fish any other type of fish my clowns will eat. Before we got them they attacked a firefish and they ganged up on 3 three stripped damsels:eek: they killed one and almost the other 2 so we ended up taking them home before they could hurt anyone else. I need a fish that will be able to hold their own against my clowns. That being said if we do get another fish for that tank and he starts getting picked on too much we will find a different home for him.

Ruth
05-18-2007, 09:23 PM
IME Dottybacks are inch for inch the most belligerent fish I have ever owned. I have had 2 royal dotty's, and while they do have character and you have to admire that spunk, they can be just downright mean. I have an SOB yellow tang that likes to think he is boss of the tank but even he will back away from the dotty. Between the SOB and the "short guy on sterioids" additional fish for this tank are not an option.
If you think your clowns are a match and you don't plan on adding more fish down the road then by all means get a dotty. They are beautiful fish if you can put up with their personalities.