PDA

View Full Version : 4 week Holiday. NO water changes???? opinions??

atcguy
05-16-2007, 03:28 PM
I am an experienced reefer but need some advice from other experienced people who have gone through this. My 120 SPS reef will be on its own for 4 weeks for the month of June. Other than neighbor coming in to feed the fish I would like to not have him (not experienced) go through the hassle of attempting my tanks transfusion (ie water change)

I have the works calcium reactor , kalk mixer all running off my aquatronica controller. I just want him to be able to come in. press my feed button , which turns off everything for 10 minutes , feed my fish and let everything turn back on after time. he will change my filter sock 1/2 way through and empty my skimmer overflow aswell. My question is I do 22 gallon changes every 2 weeks normally. I have done 2 changes the past 2 weeks just to attempt to really get my water primed for when I go away. Anyone see a problem . I hear some people never do changes or very rarely???

I have zero nitrates, phospahtes 0, cal 465, alk 8, mg 1350, sal 1.026,

i think I should be fine but any opinions.

Chin_Lee
05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
4 weeks will be fine. Just do one before you leave and do one when you get back. I only do a 10% change every 4 weeks as well. Just make sure your food portions are defined for your neighbor which will ensure that your tanks do not get overfed.

atcguy
05-17-2007, 03:22 PM
I think I will be fine, just looking for re-assurance !!! Thanks

kwirky
05-17-2007, 10:17 PM
ZOMG UR TANK'S GONNA DIE! lol j/k

Just make sure your neighbor knows they're not supposed to do ANYTHING they "think" would be "good" for the tank, or fun. Only to do exactly as you say. Make sure to explain "yes it's fun watching the fishies eat, but only feed them X often X ammount."

I don't even trust anyone with looking after my tank. Last two vacations I had family members look after the tank, and they screwed lots of stuff up. Overfed because they felt that *I* don't feed them enough. Didn't do the top-up (pumps were running dry when I got home). Stuck their hands in the tank to try to play with the cleaner shrimp. Played around with the light timer. I was a nervous wreck sorting it all out each time.

I'll be going on vacation again this summer, and I'm gonna be REAL nervous about it, even though it's only going to be like 5-8 days. I'm thinking of having a friend drive 45 minutes every couple days to my house to look after the tank, instead of having my sister blow it up again. I'll even pay him if I have to.

Snappy
05-17-2007, 10:32 PM
There shouldn't be a problem with 4 weeks. As mentioned be very specific with your instructions. Good luck and have fun.

Midknight
05-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Also make sure your neighbor has the number of someone that knows what they are doing... just in case. I am in Surrey so not far away if your want an emergincy back up. :wink:

Dan

atcguy
05-23-2007, 01:06 PM
well tank is automated with aquatronica system. I highly recommend these units. Top off is automatic. ph gets too high reactors shut down. Fans come on over sump as temp rises. Halides shut if my max temp is reached. I hope to have the tank doing its own water changes in the near future. Dosing pumps for additives and supplements.

But other than specific feeding instructions and an emergency number I am feeling better now. thanks though