PDA

View Full Version : Solaris 400 W unit

Justusfish
05-16-2007, 01:29 PM
J&L have just listed preorders for the 400W version of the solaris lighting. I wonder if anyone on here has a solaris 250W version and if they like it, and more importantly if they are using it on a hard coral reef tank.

At the price they're selling them for, I need some real feedback from real people. (As compared to three happy customer responses on solaris' website)

Thanks folks.

Ruth
05-16-2007, 01:47 PM
I am pretty sure that Sushiman bought one of those units. I know he had a thread on here about it. Just search "Solaris" and it will come up. I haven't figured out how to post links- or I am just too lazy to figure it out.

0sprey
05-16-2007, 01:53 PM
The solaris LED system?
I have the 36" unit, and I'm very impressed with it. But I haven't started into anything demanding just yet... still a relative newb. I looked at bulb replacements, etc. and decided it would actually save me money in the long run, even at the current cost. I love the control available with this unit. Amazing. You get 'shimmer lines' similar to those MH produce as well.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-16-2007, 02:55 PM
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28465&highlight=solaris

andresont
05-16-2007, 03:27 PM
When i asked J&L about this they told me that they ordered 4th shippment of these LED lights. So this way over 50 fixtures sold.
They even sold one to Italy.
Personally i like it a lot and looks like these lighting fixtures are good alternative and may be getting cheeper in future.

skylord
05-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Ruth is correct.....Sushiman has the 4 foot 250. I have seen it a few times and everything is looking good in the tank. I pretty well stocked it with frags from my tank and they seem to be growing at about the same rate and showing the same colors as they did in my system. Only thing is he is staying away from sps because he doesnt want to be bothered by water quality. He and his wife are coming to dinner tonight....maybe I can get him to post his thoughts.

Scott

Justusfish
05-17-2007, 12:52 AM
thanks, skylord and others. Feedback is appreciated when shelling out so much fishfood for the unit!

Snappy
05-17-2007, 01:47 AM
From what I have read about the LED's that concerns me is they only have about the same PAR as 20k MH bulbs so sps growth would likely be slower. They are a very cool light though.

Sushiman
05-17-2007, 07:22 AM
Hey all, my 48" 20K has been up for some time now & I've no regrets at all. I've got softies & LPS only at this time but the tank is now mature enough to start handling a greater variety of clams, LPS & SPS. I've been so busy with work, the kids & setting up our new daycare that I really haven't had the time to do more than regular tank maintenace so I didn't want to risk any "cherry" LPS or SPS with an "unproven" light set-up, etc. This has been better long term anyways because it has allowed the tank to settle in without the demands of a constantly increasing bioload (i.e.: impulse shopping @ J&L). All the frags I've gotten from Skylord are now nice little colonies & the little torch I picked up is fat & sexy with great expansion & is making indications of an upcoming split.
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the investment into this lighting system. I am seriously thinking of upgrading to the 400w version for the display & puting my 250w on a frag tank.

andrewsk
05-17-2007, 04:08 PM
I am thinking of getting the 72" 400W. I will need to sell my old lights first.

Keep those impressions coming.

hawk
05-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I have read that the unit length should be equal to the tanks length, but what about front to back. How wide is the light spread?