PDA

View Full Version : ID this growing in tank

daddy01
05-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Hi,
I have this 1535growing on rocks and want to get rid of it, suggestions.
Is it a nuisance plant?
Jim

Farrmanchu
05-16-2007, 03:24 AM
Macro Algae type, I grow it in my refugium. Grows like mad, sucks up nutrients, wouldn't want it in my display. It's a Calerpa(sp) type.

Delphinus
05-16-2007, 03:48 AM
Caulerpa prolifera maybe? It doesn't look like Caulerpa racemosa or Caulerpa taxifolia.. There are of course other species of caulerpa as well, of course, so who knows..

daddy01
05-16-2007, 05:07 AM
Thanks to both for reply, I added some to bring down my Nitrates (in main tank) now my nitrates are down but I have microalgae growing on everything,
Is there any way to get rid of it out my main tank? or will I have to replace liverock infested with it?
Jim

Delphinus
05-16-2007, 05:13 AM
You can remove it with tweezers or forceps (like tweezers but larger like 6" typically), and a bit of patience. Unless you have a really diabolical strain of caulerpa like I do, that still pops up years after I thought I first "removed" it. I don't know how it does it, but it finds spots to grow where I can't see it. How does it know I can't see it? :lol: Weeeeeeird.

Anyhow, you can order forceps off the 'net or go to a home care shop (that's where I got mine, H&H Care or something like that).

Where ya located? If we're local, I actually wouldn't mind picking up a piece of that (trade you for some chaeto if you're interested)? It would make for an interesting macro in a refugium..

Chaloupa
05-16-2007, 06:21 AM
I had it in my display...it is a pain in the butt....I manually removed it as best I could and now have none....this is what mine looked like...hey you're lucky, you only have 1 algae to pick off .... I had a nasty bunch of them! (3 to be exact....! Ugh)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/P1010218.jpg

daddy01
05-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks for info..I ended up buying cured live rock and giving my 'infested' rock to my son.
Jim

Chowder
05-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Not sure how big your tank is but you could try a Tang or someother fish. I had a Naso tang and purple tang that both ate caulerpa. But Tangs need a lot of space to swim and get big. So would not suggest it if your tank is less then 4 feet.

daddy01
05-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Yeh I have small tank 30G. I had a tang and had to give it away, brought ich to and had to clean that up.
Jim

adidas
05-18-2007, 10:39 PM
use the Tang method :P