PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with my superskimmer 220

MikeP
05-15-2007, 03:35 AM
I know it's not the best skimmer out there but I will upgrade in the future. For now it's what I got. It was running fine on my LR tank in the basement but now that I have it on my new display tank upstairs all it does is pump water into the collection cup? The only difference is that it's now in the sump where as before it was set up as HOB. The instructions suck and I just can't figure out why this is happening. Has anyone had similar problems? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks

Der_Iron_Chef
05-15-2007, 03:43 AM
Is it actually producing bubbles? How far from the surface is the pump?

adidas
05-15-2007, 03:45 AM
i had to raise mine up up til the pump was only about 3" from thhe surface of the water...

MikeP
05-15-2007, 04:08 AM
Not producing a single bubble. I did put the longer hose on the pump so that the pump is on the bottom of the sump. Maybe its too far down now? I didn't see how that would make any difference. I'll try it out with the pump closer to the surface but I might have to find a way to support the skimmer cause without the pump sitting on the bottom it seems like it will tip over.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-15-2007, 05:07 AM
Is it even producing bubbles in the main chamber? This has happened to me a few times and I just took the skimmer apart, rinsed it, and it seemed to work well.

Also, the pump should be as close to the surface as possible. Try using something to prop it up and connect it with a shorter hose.

midgetwaiter
05-16-2007, 03:57 AM
if the pump is too low in the water there is too much pressure for the venturi to work right, you need to raise it. If you still have overflowing you need to reduce the pressure on the output as well, you can't have it submerged.

fishmaster
05-16-2007, 04:54 AM
Make sure your outflow is below the level of the valve. Due to the lack of space in my sump, I had the same problems. My skimmer sits too low in the water. In order not to overflow, I had to put the outflow hose down deep in the sump-can't use the micro bubble reducer as it has to mount too high. For bubble production, I added a small air pump to the venturi- not too big as it will cavitate. I got pretty good production out of it. Still not super happy with the amount of air, I just added a limewood stone to a larger air pump. Now it's working quite good. I ran the air hose out the vent in the top of collection cup. I now get about half a cup of thick, dark skimmate in about 3-4 days.
Shaun.

MikeP
05-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I moved the pump up closer to the surface and it seems to be working good now.