PDA

View Full Version : My very first SW tank

Chipie
05-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Hi everyone,
Just want to show you all my very first sw tank. Its a Biocube 8.

I've got about 10 pounds of live rocks(some of it in the back chamber replacing the Bio balls)

10 pounds of live sand
50 watt stealth heater

An ocellaris Clown
A yellow tail Damsel
5 Hermit crabs

Mushrooms
Green Candy cane
Feather dusters
2 kinds of zoos(not sure of the name)
1 sponge(hitchhiker)
Orange soft coral frags(2)

Still to come
(ordered)
Stand
Micro-jet 606
Hydor flo

And of course, lots of corals, polyps and mushrooms

I'm a total noob to sw so any suggestions would be appreciated. What about the aquascaping, does that look ok to you?
Thanks

The pictures don't show the colors properly.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/Chipie30-06/devant7.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/Chipie30-06/cotdroit6.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/Chipie30-06/cotgauche7.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/Chipie30-06/dessus6.jpg

seashells
05-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Looks good... I think the Candy Cane may need more light...not sure though. Enjoy!!!!

fishytime
05-15-2007, 05:25 AM
Tank looks good ...cant wait for it to fill in. Keep us posted. Damsel?:twised:

woodcarver
05-15-2007, 06:08 AM
That's one neat little tank! Aquascaping looks fine .
....................Dave

Chipie
05-20-2007, 12:10 AM
Hi thanks for the input. The Yellow tail Damsel and the Clown seem to be getting along. I'm getting a little bit of hair algea on the front glass but not much. Also i'm getting Coraline algea on the back, the glass and on some seashells i have in there for the hermits. Is getting coraline a good or bad sign?

I've got a lot of little things crawling the LR at night. Like tiny grayish shrimps. Don't know what they are.
Also found a few snails that only come out at night. They are small also.

And there's something either in the sand or in the LR that extend some kind of tentacles. (long, bright red and thinner that a hair)
Any idea what it is. Unfortunatly i don't have a good macro lense needed to photograph tiny things.

Oh i almost forgot, there's some tubes coming out of the rock with the zoos that have something coming out of it. Look like a little head with two antennas. What could this be.

I'm sure they are all common things but being a total noob. I have no idea.
Thanks

Chipie
05-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Looks good... I think the Candy Cane may need more light...not sure though. Enjoy!!!!

Oh and the Candy Cane is getting plump and has more colors, it extends some kind of strings(i guess they are tentacles)
I guess they didn't have enough light at the LFS since they are getting nicer now.
Thanks

kadaytar
05-20-2007, 08:11 AM
That litle tank looks realy cute, good job congratulation. I am not sure since it is not clear in the picture but i think that orange soft coral is scleronephthya. If it is so it is not photosytnthetic it needs to be fed to survive. It doesn't like high light and requires low light and medium to strong water flow. It looks like there is no polyp extention in the picture. I am sory to say this but it is not a good choice for new tanks.

saltaddict
05-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Check out this link for info on the questions you have about creatures you have in your tank.

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

DanG
05-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Coraline is a good sign. The best part of it, is that you won't get any nuciance algae grow on top of it.

MikeP
05-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Hi thanks for the input. The Yellow tail Damsel and the Clown seem to be getting along. I'm getting a little bit of hair algea on the front glass but not much. Also i'm getting Coraline algea on the back, the glass and on some seashells i have in there for the hermits. Is getting coraline a good or bad sign?

I've got a lot of little things crawling the LR at night. Like tiny grayish shrimps. Don't know what they are.
Also found a few snails that only come out at night. They are small also.

And there's something either in the sand or in the LR that extend some kind of tentacles. (long, bright red and thinner that a hair)
Any idea what it is. Unfortunatly i don't have a good macro lense needed to photograph tiny things.

Oh i almost forgot, there's some tubes coming out of the rock with the zoos that have something coming out of it. Look like a little head with two antennas. What could this be.

I'm sure they are all common things but being a total noob. I have no idea.
Thanks
Tank looks good :) the little grayish shrimps are 'pods' and they are good the little head with antennas sounds like a vermetid snail, not really bad to have but they can irritate some corals with the mucus (stringy web looking thing) that they spit out and reel in (that's how they eat) you should probably get rid of the damsel, he will likely turn to the dark side and beat up your clown (mine did). By the way where are you located? And welcome to Canreef

Matty
10-28-2007, 12:43 AM
I had the same damsels with my Clown and they ticked me off only because that they stayed in the live rock all the time.. except for feeding time The damsels and the clown never bothered each other. Though I may have had "ideal" conditions for that as my clown was not hosting.. and I had them in a bigger tank.

Drock169
10-28-2007, 03:39 AM
My concerns are the same as some of the others, Clown and damsel in a small area, I would get rid of one of them and replace with another small fish (possibly a goby). You need to remember that the biocubes arent true to the size they say, even though it says its an 8 gallon, the volume is much less than that. Also LPS in a biocube with stocking lighting is not the greatest idea, it will survive but not thrive unless you upgrade the lighting. These are just some of the things I've noticed also being a biocube owner.

Chaloupa
10-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Tank is cute! I also would get rid of the yellow tail and replace with a "nicer" personality fish...too small an area for them and a clown.

I have 3 biocubes....I have had LPS corals in all of them at one time or another and they thrived....the softies of course do even better...but I have had hammers, frogspawn, and candycane in mine that did well.... nice job, especially for your first tank!