PDA

View Full Version : Constructing Tank Bottom w/ Sheet PVC

Der_Iron_Chef
05-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Has anyone ever used flat "sheet" PVC (don't know the technical name!) for the bottom of their tank? Would one use typical aquarium-safe silicone to silicone it to the side glass panes?

Just thinking about something new....:wink:

Farrmanchu
05-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Silicone won't adhere the same to PVC. If you can find a way to keep the PVC bottom flat and ridgid, and also an adhesive that will stick well, then it should work. I would never want to move that tank though.

Doug
05-11-2007, 01:41 PM
When researching some glass to build a tank, a friend in the buisness said I could not use acrylic for part of the tank for the same reason. It would not bond correct, like the glass to glass seams.

I wanted to use something different also, for the bottom and two non-see sidea, instead of expensive new 1/2in. glass.

Quagmire
05-11-2007, 01:49 PM
How about using acrylic and pvc? Think that would bond better?

Der_Iron_Chef
05-11-2007, 02:22 PM
You're right....acrylic would likely bond much better to the PVC. I only ask because I saw a similar type idea on RC, and it looked pretty cool. But I wasn't sure what they used to bond the two together, or if I just misunderstood the concept (definitely a possibility :lol:)

Tangman
05-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Yes, you can bond acrylic to PVC ,use Weldon 4052, but I never herd of flat sheet PVC

lastlight
05-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Talk to this guy:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1033086

His tank is PVC bottom with glass sides.

Built by Aquarium Environments.

Brett