PDA

View Full Version : Why do zoos grow long stocks?

marcingo
05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi. It seems that everytime I add zoos to my tank after a couple weeks to a month they begin to develop long stalks. Anyone know why zoos develop long stalks? Is my flow too gentle? I used to think maybe Im just getting palys all the time or maybe they arent fully developed and when they develop they grow long stalks. This however cant be the case since I put a fully developed rock with lots of zoos on it from a friends tank. When I got it the zoos were all close to the rock almost no stock. However now a month later they have all grown longer stalks. All my zoos look healthy but they are all growing long stalks and big heads. Anyone know why? I would think I have adequate lighting since I am running a 150 watt HQI DE MH on an 19 inch tank. It is 20k temperature though.

Another thing is my mushrooms are growing abnormally huge as well. Could this be related to the zoo issue?

I have LPS in the tank that is growing very nicely too.

Thanks for your input.

Joe Reefer
05-10-2007, 05:44 PM
My theory is they are stretching out for more light, but what do I know.:mrgreen:

Skimmerking
05-10-2007, 05:55 PM
lots of Zoo's have the long necks and some have the short...

Phanman
05-10-2007, 05:58 PM
from my experience my zoos near the bottom of the tank seem to grow longer stocks to reach up for sunlight while my zoos near the top of the tank have short stocks and massive heads. I think it all depends on where you place your zoos.

littlesilvermax
05-10-2007, 09:10 PM
My zoos that receive little flow and want more light seem to grow long stalks.

My zoos that receive lots of flow have no noticeable stalk at all, regardless of light.

tang daddy
05-11-2007, 06:26 AM
My zoos that receive little flow and want more light seem to grow long stalks.

My zoos that receive lots of flow have no noticeable stalk at all, regardless of light.

I'm with max on this flow make my zoas stick close to the rocks also 20000k is really blue and not as intense the mushrooms are thriving when I had the 175w 14000k xm mushrooms were the size of my palm even at the bottom mounted horizontal to the lr when I got my new 400w 10000k I lost about 5 different types of shrooms the only thing that survived were blue tip hairy and ric's so hopefully this helps.

marcingo
05-11-2007, 03:01 PM
It does thanks. I think its probably just more of a flow issue as was mentioned. I mean every single coral including a few hard corals are also thriving in the tank its just that the necks are long. But almost all the zoos are near the bottom of the tank so that is probably why they have long necks. Not too much flow down there either.

fishoholic
05-11-2007, 07:29 PM
When we got our T5 lights all our zoos that had long stocks on them shrunk back down and started growing bigger:biggrin: