PDA

View Full Version : Gobies

sharuq1
05-09-2007, 08:13 PM
I want to do some research but first I need names. Can you list some small gobies that you know of? Info. on their care also appreciated, but I can use google too. :biggrin: I am pondering one for a 14g biocube tank, however I do not have substrate and do not want any, so wondering if there are any gobies you could list that would be suitable for this habitat.

Phanman
05-09-2007, 08:18 PM
check here.

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?query=goby&.autodone=&catalog=marinedepotlive

andsoitgoes
05-09-2007, 08:23 PM
I REALLY recommend a bi-color blenny. Some of the most personality I've *EVER* seen in a fish, I miss mine every day, he was the star of my 5, then 7g bowfront tank!!

That's pretty standard of any blennies though, and I know it's not an exact Goby, but they're all very similar IMO :)

marcingo
05-09-2007, 08:24 PM
sorry to hijack but I was just wondering do you run the stock lights on your biocube? How are the corals doing with these. What are the stock lights. Thanks.

By the way most gobies are either sand sifters and need lots of space or just need lots of space. At least thats what I found.

Moogled
05-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Gobies and blennies will be fine in a barebottom tank, guaranteed.

The only possible exception is that there might be some sand sifting gobies that do need substrate. If anyone can confirm, that would be great.

In terms of a 14 gallon tank, you can opt for many choices such as:

Randall's Goby
Wheeler's Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby

These stay relatively small and are very docile. The Yellow Watchman goby in particular has alot of personality. I've seen pictures of one sitting on someone's hand.

If you want a larger goby-esque fish, a Lawnmower Blenny or Bi-Color would work. I've kept a lawnmower blenny but you don't want an algae eating competitor, especially in such a small tank.

That said, some gobies will fight with each other so keep that in mind when stocking more than one.

andsoitgoes
05-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Gobies and blennies will be fine in a barebottom tank, guaranteed.

The only possible exception is that there might be some sand sifting gobies that do need substrate. If anyone can confirm, that would be great.

In terms of a 14 gallon tank, you can opt for many choices such as:

Randall's Goby
Wheeler's Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby

There are some sand sifting gobies that won't work, like the sleeper - but that's not a nano fish at all, same goes for an engineer.

I'd also be careful with fish like the Randall's and things like the A. Hectori - they sometimes can be VERY particular eaters and end up wasting away like Dragonettes.

If you want a FEW fish, look at the Neon Gobies - those guys are great, they're community oriented and are great in a tank, very colorful and cute as heck.

Moogled
05-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Actually, Randall's Gobies are pretty easily kept.

Most will take frozen food and/or shrimp pellets. They shouldn't be compared to the extremity of Mandarin Gobies, most of which WILL waste away due to the lack of live food/copepods to feed on.

The gobies I listed readily accept a variety of foodstuffs.

andsoitgoes
05-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Actually, Randall's Gobies are pretty easily kept.

Most will take frozen food and/or shrimp pellets. They shouldn't be compared to the extremity of Mandarin Gobies, most of which WILL waste away due to the lack of live food/copepods to feed on.

The gobies I listed readily accept a variety of foodstuffs.

D'oh - you're completely right. For some reason my brain was thinking Rainford's goby :)

So be careful with Rainfordi, Hectori or any dragonettes (Mandarin Gobies, Scooter Blennies) :D

sharuq1
05-10-2007, 03:17 AM
What about a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby? - (Stonogobiops nematodes)

seashells
05-10-2007, 04:39 AM
How about yellow clown gobies? Realy cute & fun to watch... call them the sticky fish. will lay eggs if you have 2 & stay small. Same with green clown gobies.

Moogled
05-10-2007, 03:07 PM
The Hi Fin Banded Goby (from online research) seems to say that they might be more aggressive towards tankmates in smaller tanks.

In all honesty, I would go for a cookie-cutter goby. Some of the more special ones are either hard to get, expensive, require more than one feeding a day, or moderately difficult to keep.