PDA

View Full Version : Best Supplement for Coraline growth?

likwid
05-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Hey guys,

I'm placing an order with Ocean Aquatics, and am looking for a supplement that will give me accelerated coraline growth. At the moment I have coraline that already came on my liverock, but no more has grown in my tank in the 4 months that it has been up. I have not used any supplements at all, so I'm guessing my calcium isnt where it should be. Which products would be best for coraline growth and anything else. I heard Kent is a good brand and OA has a great selection of their products.

Thanks

albert_dao
05-09-2007, 07:37 PM
If you haven't already done so, you might want to get some test kits for Ca, kH and Mg. Getting both of those to the right places will make a pest out of coraline :D

There's no "magic" product that's going to give you enhanced coraline growth. At best, coraline products are going to give you growth rates that will match those of good water parameters, IMO.

argileh
05-09-2007, 07:49 PM
I use the two part C-balance from Two Little Fishies (got it from J&L). It gives acceptable coraline growth. When the bottles are finished I will switch to Salifert All in One to see if it gives better results.

The other option which I ca nnot find here is B-inoic from ESV.

HTH

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I used Purple Up & Liquid Reactor & the new 220g reef has lots of coraline growth in the tank & in the sump.

andsoitgoes
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm impressed at the increase I had in coraline when switching to the Salifert ALl-in-one.

I'll be honest that I don't test half as much as I should, but seeing the difference as soon as I started up the Salifert brand, wow - I was blown away.

It's worth giving each a shot for a few weeks (salifert, C-Balance, Purple Up/Liquid Reactor) and see what works best for you - trial and error is what this is all about! :)

marie
05-09-2007, 09:53 PM

The other option which I ca nnot find here is B-inoic from ESV.

HTH

http://mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cgi-bin/vendors_list_products.cgi?L+scstore+kktr0602ff4b79 4b+1178753177

:mrgreen:

Ruth
05-09-2007, 10:05 PM
I think the best coralline accellorator is to keep your calcium, alk/dkh, and magnesium well balanced - it will grow EVERYWHERE! You can even bump your magnesium up to around 1400ppm if you want to and it seems to hasten the spread - particularly on the glass.
I have also found that having an urchin in the tank seems to propogate it.

kwirky
05-09-2007, 10:53 PM
I think the best coralline accellorator is to keep your calcium, alk/dkh, and magnesium well balanced - it will grow EVERYWHERE! You can even bump your magnesium up to around 1400ppm if you want to and it seems to hasten the spread - particularly on the glass.
I have also found that having an urchin in the tank seems to propogate it.

my tuxedo urchin eats it, making coraline kinda sparse in my tank.

Ruth
05-09-2007, 11:01 PM
my tuxedo urchin eats it, making coraline kinda sparse in my tank.

They do eat it but at the same time they also dislodge the spores that cause it to spread. In my experience and also from what I have read they are very helpful in assisting it to spread to the rest of you tank.

argileh
05-09-2007, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE=marie;251140]http://mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cgi-bin/vendors_list_products.cgi?L+scstore+kktr0602ff4b79 4b+1178753177

:mrgreen:[/QUOTE

Expensive to get form there

ClubReef
05-09-2007, 11:59 PM
I agree with Ruth. Just maintain your Ca/Alk/Mg..I wouldn't waste your money on the specialized stuff such as purple up.

Quagmire
05-10-2007, 12:15 AM
I found I had the best coralline growth when I dripped Kalk.But like the others said,having Cal/Alk/Mg inline is the key.I also had better growth with my PC's than with my 250w MH.