PDA

View Full Version : sally light foot crab

rossb
12-11-2002, 03:29 PM
I just got a sally light foot crab ...
The Sally Lightfoot does an excellent job of keeping your filament algae cropped. The Sally Lightfoot crabs are extremely flattened, usually come in mottled colors, and usually range in size from 3/4" to 11/4". These speedy crabs can grow quite large (4-6") so we recommend them for larger aquariums only.
It is a cool looking crab but I think it is in need of a new home. Anybody interested?

AJ_77
12-11-2002, 06:40 PM
Ross, is there a problem with the crab? I've got some bubble algae that might benefit from a visit... Bob's SL was a bubble-eating machine, but my emerald never touched the stuff.

Alan :D

Bob I
12-11-2002, 07:22 PM
Yes mine was a bubble algae eating machine, but then he started methodically removing Coraline Algae from my rocks. At that time he was removed. :x :x :x

rossb
12-11-2002, 08:36 PM
The reason for this is I'm not certain if one of my new hermits croaked..and became dinner or just became dinner... My girl is rather sensitive to critters that eat other critters...
So if your interested... well come over and we'll have a go at catching it.

AJ_77
12-12-2002, 01:01 AM
"They say" that these crabs need a lot of algae to stay well-fed, as well as leftovers and other foods. Perhaps Bob's was starving and eating coraline as a last resort?

Any other experiences with Sally Lightfoots?? Anyone?

Alan

rossb
12-12-2002, 01:11 AM
well there has to be a better way to catch one of these things...man are they fast. My tank has lots of algae and the SLF is happily eating away. I posted the same question on reef central and they are about evenly divided. Most say they are fine until they start to mature (about 2 years old)... then they take on even slow moving fish.

Bob I
12-12-2002, 01:19 AM
As I said, I would be most surprised if the crab is causing the problem. The hermit may have suffered an untimely departure from this earth. Anything dead is usually eaten by the remainng critters in the tank. You may just have to leave him be unless you want to take everything out of the tank to catch it. :(

Delphinus
12-12-2002, 01:55 AM
Just a really silly interjection, but hey, just wanted to share this thought. Are you sure the hermit is departed? Because a hermit crab molt looks like, well, just exactly like a dead hermit..

Bob I
12-12-2002, 09:02 PM
Just a really silly interjection, but hey, just wanted to share this thought. Are you sure the hermit is departed? Because a hermit crab molt looks like, well, just exactly like a dead hermit..

Spot on Tony, and in no way silly. I am sorry I missed that point. It is always great to benefit from the knowledge of others. :D :D