PDA

View Full Version : FS 4 inch Peacock Mantis & G. Smithii Mantis - BC

Ticketyboo
05-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Sigh.... so its finally happened.... i have come to my senses and had to admit defeat that i have too many salt water tanks..... 3 months into the hobby and 5 salt water tanks later..... i have painfully decided to bring some of them down meaning i have to vacate the occupants :neutral:

So is there anyone looking for a G.Smithii mantis (about 3 inches) and a Peacock Mantis? I was thinking in the region of $20 for one and $30 for the other. I have had both for about 2 weeks and 4 weeks, or maybe a trade for some corals in my tank?

Sigh.......... i want to keep them but the wife says no..... and im running out of places to hide them so she cant find out :neutral:

She wants me to take up golf again to get my mind off them.... pffft....

justinl
05-09-2007, 04:27 AM
GOLF?!! come on man that's a lame replacement and you know it. you just set those guy' tanks up too. ah well, they come and go i guess.

Ticketyboo
05-09-2007, 04:33 AM
ahem... im scottish.... its my national game... are you calling that lame?????

Sigh.... well as i say.... im only allowed my reef tank, my big FOWLR tank, and the tank for my new hawaiin dragon eel.... no room for anything else :neutral: ... i really liked the mantoids.... specially as i nursed the peacock back to health :sad:

tang daddy
05-09-2007, 07:13 AM
Damn those pics look really nice I really want one do you think it's big enough to take smaller fish down??
Also how thick is the little bastard and how big can they grow?

justinl
05-09-2007, 07:59 AM
smasher mantids (like peacock and smithii) prey mostly on inverts and frozens. keep em fed and fish should be okay. of course, bottom dwelling fish would be in much more risk than a fish that spends more time in the water column.

peacocks get up to a 18 cm.
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=o_scyllarus

G. smithii get up to 9cm and will be much less of a threat to fishies.
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=g_smithii

your getting a dragon moray?! wow... that's freakin awesome. i want one whenever i can afford it. may be a while!

heh heh heh, no offense man, it's just that since the canucks were kicked out of the playoffs, golf has become a sensitive subject to me...

Ticketyboo
05-15-2007, 11:38 PM
bump.... just the peacock mantis left....

NateL
05-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Nursed the peacock back to health how? How sick was it? Has it molted?

Ticketyboo
05-16-2007, 04:50 PM
It was in a pretty bad state with shell rot on his back due to an uncovered home and the use of metal halide lights directly on it. When i took it home it wasnt eating and was laying on its side.

Now shes up and about, eating healthy with a diet of live crabs, a green chromis (sigh... that wasnt planned, although there is another one living with it in the tank) Silverside and shrimp.

It has not molted yet, but the damaged area look alot better than what it was.

Ticketyboo
05-24-2007, 04:52 PM
No takers? i have to dismantle the tank tomorrow..... so anyone?:neutral: