PDA

View Full Version : Urgent - shipping frustrations, where to go?

andsoitgoes
05-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Okay - so I'm trying to ship something from Surrey to Port Alberni, and I can tell you right now it's getting to be a pain in the you know what!! :P

I just called greyhound who were so kind to tell me they can't offer any sort of guarantee on anything to do with the package arriving within the next day (yay.)

So - that said, shipping from Surrey next day isn't an option, what is? Where do I go that it's not going to cost more than 10 -15, which is an AMAZING deal?

ANother option is that my father in law is going over to Nanaimo tomorrow on a very early ferry, should arrive there around 8:30am or so, and if that's the case, where would he take so that it could arrive in port alberni? If we do greyhound, they again guarantee NOTHING (yay) but they don't foresee it being an issue to have it on the 10:30am bus.

Thoughts? I'd like to get some answers and get this packed up tonight to get there tomorrow! :)

Thanks (and thanks for being so patient, castaway!!)

christyf5
05-08-2007, 10:23 PM
If your father in law takes it over to Nanaimo and puts it on the greyhound there Port Alberni should get it same day (probably within a few hours). The problem with shipping from the mainland is that everything gets sent to a main shipping warehouse (in Coquitlam I think), held overnight and then shipped the next day. On the island they ship everything same day. I often sent things from Nanaimo to Vancouver and it was there in a few hours.

andsoitgoes
05-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Okay - well, things are getting organized and it's just about ready to go - Although, I had an urgent situation, the LARGE bag I was going to use for my finger leather well, let's just say it was relegated to heaven (holy as can be!!) so I've had to use a smaller bag.

The finger leather was fairly big, but is fully covered in water, just not as much as I'd like - what's more important for shipping corals?? It's pretty much filled to the tip top with water and there's room for the "arms" to move around, but there's not MUCH room.

Any thoughts? I'm sending this baby out tonight and want to ensure it's packed as good as possible!! :)

Reefer Rob
05-09-2007, 03:57 AM
Probably too late for ya, but when I shipped a coral to Port Alberni I used KD Air (http://www.kdair.com/). It went perfectly.

Chaloupa
05-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Hey Nick...what did you end up doing? I need some corals from Vancouver sent here too and don't really want to pay $30.00 for the flight but think I may have to do just that....let me know what worked for you and what you did!

deep6er
05-09-2007, 05:53 AM
I have shipped to Port Alberni a few times. And I think it took 2 days. Everything was good in condition even the clams.

castaway
05-09-2007, 08:59 AM
I have shipped to Port Alberni a few times. And I think it took 2 days. Everything was good in condition even the clams.

Yes you've shipped to me and its usually less than 24 hours by bus:mrgreen:

Reefer Rob
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
It would be a lot easier if you could give it to BC Ferries at this side and it could be picked up at the terminal on the other side. It was impossible to get a straight answer from Greyhound. The best I could get was that you had to take it downtown Vancouver, and they had no idea when it would arrive at the other end.:rolleyes:

fishmaster
05-09-2007, 03:18 PM
It would be a lot easier if you could give it to BC Ferries at this side and it could be picked up at the terminal on the other side. It was impossible to get a straight answer from Greyhound. The best I could get was that you had to take it downtown Vancouver, and they had no idea when it would arrive at the other end.:rolleyes:

I deal with Greyhound all the time. Generally, If you get the package to the depot by a certain time, the shipping is overnight to the Island. They can also pick it up in some areas. Not sure why you guys are getting the run around? Are you asking for a garantee because your shipping livestock? Maybe they're worried about that. Anyways, I've got 3 livestock orders from J&L's via Greyhound in the last 2 months all overnight with no problems. I also recive packages from work weekly which are all overnight. I always see boxes of fish for the LFS there as well. IMO, I would ship greyhound AT THE BUYERS RISK, afterall, we're the ones looking for cheap shipping and we want to make shipping easy for you guys so more of you will ship stuff to us.
Shaun.

Quinster
05-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Greyhound must be different here, as long as I get a package to the depot minimum 1 hour prior to the bus leaving, they guarantee it will be on the bus unless there is extenuating circumstances.
I always call about 2 hours prior to ensure they don’t have a large shipment day where mine may be bumped, but I use them all the time for live and dry goods with little to no issues.