PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with those styrofoam packing peanuts?

Delphinus
05-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Ok, so everytime I MO something, it comes in a box filled with packing peanuts. Which I dutifully don't throw out because that would be "bad." So I put them in a garbage bag full of them "just in case I ever have to ship something somewhere." Now I have .. well .. a few of these bags just chockablock full of packing peanuts and.. it's starting to get kinda annoying.

What can people do to get rid of them in an ecologically sound manner? I was seriously thinking of asking a place like Mailboxes Etc. if they want them, but just haven't done so yet.

I'm thinking that realistically I'm looking at that I have to make a 3-Glad-bag donation of styrofoam packing peanuts to the landfill, but just thought I'd ask what others do...

Der_Iron_Chef
05-07-2007, 06:40 PM
They're good to put in the bottom of pots or baskets where you're planting flowers or other plants. It gives the roots somewhere to expand once they reach past the soil, and it helps with drainage :smile:

Delphinus
05-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Yeah, true, but .. I've been using that as a justification for keeping them the last who-knows-how-many-years. :lol: Thing is, even with a lot of plants, I won't use up 3 Glad bags of them. It's a little like draining a lake using an eyedropper ... while it's raining. The stupid things self-replicate, I swear. Well .. it's just that I'll use up maybe 20 peanuts repotting a plant, and then get another 2000 when I mail-order the next thing. :lol:

I just hate throwing out styrofoam but what are we supposed to do, ..... it's too much.

marie
05-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Put an ad in the classifieds...canada post sells a 12" by 24" bag of them for $7.95

justinl
05-07-2007, 07:10 PM
make a bean bag chair with them. theyre pretty comfy and great for sitting in front of the tank

Der_Iron_Chef
05-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Prank someone and fill their car with them?

Delphinus
05-07-2007, 07:29 PM
:lol: I like that one!!!

andsoitgoes
05-07-2007, 07:52 PM
i eat them.

well, okay - maybe not - I'm bad, I used to throw them away.

OR - I torture people I ship stuff to with them.

Why not just do that? I'm sure you've got stuff to sell!!!

christyf5
05-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Hehe I used to love shipping stuff to people as I'd fill as much of the box as I could with them, even if it didn't need peanuts :razz:

Then I discovered we had a giant box at work where people would recycle them. I just kept on adding to their pile :wink:

Zylumn
05-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Put them in Grocery bags ( you get too many of those too unless you own dogs) tie the bags up and throw them in your attic. Years from now you keep doing that and they might pay for themselves.
Kevin

Rumika
05-08-2007, 02:26 AM
You can put them in the bottom of your flower pots to help with drainage. Perfect time of year to use up some of those peanuts.

saltaddict
05-08-2007, 02:38 AM
Add them to gasoline. Makes excellent napalm. :onfire:

...j/k

seriously .........dont try this at home kids.

Delphinus
05-08-2007, 05:19 AM
Yeah .. I actually tried unloading them at work at our shipping department. They pretty much begged me not to, apparently we have several tonnes worth. See, I was thinking that "in that case, they won't notice a couple more pounds worth" but they didn't see it that way. :lol:

BMW Rider
05-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Someone in my neighborhood has taken to letting the wind deal with them :twised: I'm picking up a handfull of the freaking things daily from my front yard. I usually just bag em and trash em. I saved them for a while, but got tired of that quickly.

What I really hate about them is the static, they stick to everything and are a pain to handle.

EmilyB
05-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Jeez Ed, I'm sorry, I didn't think they'd get that far........:redface:

BMW Rider
05-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Jeez Ed, I'm sorry, I didn't think they'd get that far........:redface:

I'll start saving them for you in case you want them back :mrgreen:

Ruth
05-09-2007, 01:48 AM
You could always package them up and send them to your "friends" and "family" as gag Christmas and birthday presents. Less expensive than shipping a lump of coal!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BMW Rider
05-09-2007, 02:44 AM
You could always package them up and send them to your "friends" and "family" as gag Christmas and birthday presents. Less expensive than shipping a lump of coal!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I did that to my brother at christmas. Packed a gift card in a huge box with a ton of peanuts :lol: :lol: :lol: He said they ended up all over the house once the kids got into them.

Hmmmm, maybe he's been seeding them in my yard.....

fishoholic
05-13-2007, 04:16 AM
I'm still :lol: :lol: :lol: from reading everything! One thing you could do is donate them to a daycare. I work in one and the kids love making crafts out of them as well as playing in them (Kiddie pool and styrofoam peanuts=FUN!)

Snappy
05-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Ok, so everytime I MO something, it comes in a box filled with packing peanuts. Which I dutifully don't throw out because that would be "bad." So I put them in a garbage bag full of them "just in case I ever have to ship something somewhere." Now I have .. well .. a few of these bags just chockablock full of packing peanuts and.. it's starting to get kinda annoying.

What can people do to get rid of them in an ecologically sound manner? I was seriously thinking of asking a place like Mailboxes Etc. if they want them, but just haven't done so yet.

I'm thinking that realistically I'm looking at that I have to make a 3-Glad-bag donation of styrofoam packing peanuts to the landfill, but just thought I'd ask what others do...
Hey Tony,
I'll take a bag off your hands. I need to ship frags quite a bit and ran out of what I had. I don't want all three bags from you yet but I will take one for sure.:biggrin:
Let me know. Thanks,

marie
05-14-2007, 03:03 AM
Hey Tony,
I'll take a bag off your hands. I need to ship frags quite a bit and ran out of what I had. I don't want all three bags from you yet but I will take one for sure.:biggrin:
Let me know. Thanks,

You ship frags????? How come I didn't know that

Funky_Fish14
05-14-2007, 05:55 AM
Add them to gasoline. Makes excellent napalm. :onfire:

...j/k

seriously .........dont try this at home kids.

You have to get the ratios right for it to work well :lol:

... I didnt learn that first hand... I swear! :razz:

Tony, I would definetly try passing them on to any sort of packing or mailing company etc... Im sure they would take them or tell you the best place to take 'em.