PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Stores that sell RO/DI Water

likwid
05-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Anyone know what grocery stores in Canada, Alberta preferred, sell RO/DI water? What size bottles does it come in, and around how much does it cost?

Thanks

Der_Iron_Chef
05-07-2007, 04:15 PM
I buy mine from Superstore. It's Reverse Osmosis and UV Sterilized....not sure about Deionization. You pay $10 for the 18.9L jug and then refills are $2.98 after that.

likwid
05-07-2007, 04:19 PM
I used to get my drinking water from SuperStore, but the taps never said RO, they just said filtered water???

I buy mine from Superstore. It's Reverse Osmosis and UV Sterilized....not sure about Deionization. You pay $10 for the 18.9L jug and then refills are $2.98 after that.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-07-2007, 04:30 PM
No, it definitely says RO and UV now!

fkshiu
05-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I don't think any grocery store sells straight RO/DI water (where you have 100% control of what gets put back into it). That's because zero TDS water tastes like crap and wouldn't sell very well.

What you will find is filtered RO water with a bit of TDS at "u-serve" type filling stations (in Superstore, for example). This is fine for our tanks but you're reliant on someone else to make sure the filters and RO membrane are adequately maintained.

You can pick up distilled water at the pharmacy department, which should be zero TDS (or about as close as you can get), but it's a lot more expensive.

Zylumn
05-07-2007, 05:33 PM
I purchased an R/O setup from J&L and a tds meter. I had a normal filtering system for my fish water, I found that it was reading in the 120 mark, my NW Cal tap water was 155, now our drinking water we bought from COOP (Culigan) and it read in one bottle 55 and another purchased a week later 38. I found rain water in my back yard to be 7. My r/o sys. puts out consistent water at 1. Just so you know when water has a 0 tds it doesn't have a taste (tasteless) anything added to water changes that. Just from my experience and my .02 worth on the H20.
Kevin

danny zubot
05-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Regardless of the price of jugs and refills, you'll pay for an RODi unit after about 75 jugs worth of top ups and water changes. Buying a filter was the way to go after I really did the math.

christyf5
05-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Regardless of the price of jugs and refills, you'll pay for an RODi unit after about 75 jugs worth of top ups and water changes. Buying a filter was the way to go after I really did the math.

Ditto here. Buying an RO unit is really more cost effective IMO (mind you I rent and don't "pay" for water).

I found that most of the grocery stores I went to actually had a higher TDS reading than tap water. Gross.

Quagmire
05-08-2007, 12:10 AM
I agree RO/DI is the way to go long term or even medium term.But in a pinch,Zellers and Shoppers both sell RO or DI water.