PDA

View Full Version : Life after Ich

likwid
05-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Hey guys,

I bought a fish that apparently had ich, which died shortly after being put into my tank. I then noticed my other healthy fish that I have had for many months had ich as well. That fish died today. Looks like I'll be setting up a QT from now on. Anyways, before adding any more fish, will I have to treat my tank for ich before adding another fish now? My tank currently has a bunch of snails, emerald crab, coral banded shrimp, hermits, and a bunch of corals. Will these medications hurt my corals? I would like to use the fastest med and most reef safe.

Thanks

marie
05-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Leaving the tank without fish for 6 weeks is the only way I know of :biggrin:

likwid
05-07-2007, 03:01 PM
I would like to use a medication to speed the process up. I know my LFS uses an ich medication in their display tanks and keep their fish, inverts, etc in them while its happening and it only takes a week or so.

Chaloupa
05-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't use any meds. We have had ich in 2 tanks...now of course we have a QT (hindsight is 20/20) one of our tanks is staying fishless for the recommended 6+ weeks. We don't want to take any chances.

I did use a med that is "reefsafe" in the QT tank...lets just say that it was a disaster. I wouldn't use it on a reef or tank that is nice looking at all....pH swings were horrible, we ended up with a massive case of cyano (and there was a TON of flow and skimming, no overfeeding etc etc) AND we still have ich in the QT tank. I will revert to copper in the QT now....

Good luck..it's not very fun. Be patient and leave the tank empty....don't take any chances. I wouldn't but that is just my experience, not everyones.

marie
05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Anything that is reef safe is not a surefire method of getting rid of ich. you said you're going to quarantine anyway so even if you buy a new fish now it should be in quarantine for at least 6 weeks (I have been going 8 weeks) and by then the display will be clear of ich :biggrin:

howdy20012002
05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
sounds like a miracle drug to me.
I think that the LFS might be exaggerating.
most reef and invert "safe" meds are a waste of time.(pepper based)
As far as i can understand it, ich medications work by stressing the fish out chemically, which causes it to increase its' slime coat.
Thus the fishes own defenses are what gets rid of ich.
I would look at your parameters and make sure everything is good in your tank.
Happy and healthy fish rarely get ich.
If they do, it is generally a couple of spots which the fish will get rid of itself.
I can honestly say that I have killed more fish trying to rid them of ich, then the ich itself would have killed.
Now I just let it run its' course.
if your LFS has such a drug that is safe and effecient and you find out what it is, please let us know here.
thanks
Neal

likwid
05-07-2007, 03:26 PM
I have a strip based test kit, and every level is fine except Alkalinity which is blue, when the chart only goes as high as green, so it is high off the charts. It has been like this for months though. I will go to my LFS tonight and find out what they use.

Salmon King
05-07-2007, 06:50 PM
I would catch the remaining fish and put them in a small tank or rubbermaid tote and treat them with cupramine.

likwid
05-07-2007, 07:02 PM
There are no more fish left, only inverts and corals

Reefer Rob
05-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Your good to go then. Leave your tank empty for at least 5 weeks (longer is better), and quarantine everything going into your tank for the same length of time, there's no other way. Treating fish with hypo salinity in a quarantine tank is the easiest way to deal with it.