PDA

View Full Version : algee issue

prodogg02
05-06-2007, 05:49 AM
my water keeps turnin green algee bloom i was told if i turn the lights of for 2 days tank clears up i run about 14 hrs light with a hagan double t5 ho 108 watts on a 45 gal saving up for a uv sterilizer but i was wonder in if cutin the light to 10 hrs will help thanks for any info

Reefer Rob
05-06-2007, 06:17 AM
14 hours is a long photo period. 10 or 12 would be more like it. Do you run a skimmer. A good skimmer should take care of green water pretty quick.

Snappy
05-06-2007, 04:39 PM
How often do you do water changes? How much live rock? Skimmer? sump? bioload? How long has the tank been set up? I think there would be more to this equation than just your photo period.

surgeonfish
05-06-2007, 06:36 PM
I think your nitrate/nitrite levels and propably even more important is your phosphate levels. Have you tested your phosphates? I would try and keep them undetectable (<0.015ppm).

justinl
05-06-2007, 07:35 PM
for a quick solution run a skimmer and cut out the lights completely for two-three days. If the tank gets sunlight, then use drapes. the only light i allow is faint sunlight (through the drapes) and ambient lighting. I do this on a monthly basis for 3 days.

here's where that idea comes from...
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1078532

but that's no guarantee the bloom will stay away. you need to find the root of the problem. a certain kind of algae in the tank? nutrient problem (nitrate, phosphate, w/e)? too long a photoperiod (i leave mine at 10hours a day)?