PDA

View Full Version : Big Al's fish??

chicki
12-10-2002, 03:26 PM
I'm sure most of you know about the new Big Al's that opened in Edmonton a bit ago. Just wondering how many people buy fish from them? I really like their prices, but they have no quarantine and they won't let you buy a fish and leave it for more then a day?? I'm a little leary about that? Wondering if anyone's having good or bad success with the fish??

Delphinus
12-10-2002, 04:16 PM
Depends, I guess. I've bought a few fish from our Big Al's over the years, but there have been times I wouldn't touch that water with a ten foot pole, also. You'll need to go with your gut feeling and exercise common sense and all that.

FWIW, no LFS has ever been willing to hold a fish for me. In the times I've had to have something, I've just taken the leap of faith. I should mention, however, that I enjoy a relationship with a prominent MO outfit who IS willing to work with meon matters such as that, so I have very little reason to shop at LFS's any longer (except for staples like frozen food, carbon, etc.). It's just that MO tends to add overhead (cost of shipping) to your purchase costs, so if you're just in the market for one or two little things, yeah, it's hard to pass up that occasional visit to the LFS and see what's new.

One word of caution, our Big Als (Calgary) sometimes has VERY low SG in their tanks (apparently a fairly common practise for LFS's ... for various reasons, for better or for worse). This is fine as long as you recognize this possibility, and tailor your acclimation appropriately. Some things will withstand a shock, but some things won't (e.g., shrimp such as cleaner shrimp, will be dead before they hit the sand if going from one salinity to another salinity, if they are not very close or identical).

Bob I
12-10-2002, 04:56 PM
I don't know if I can add much to Tony's missive, but try I must. I recently bought a Centropyge heraldi from our local Big Al's. I did that because for $25.00 I could afford to try it, whereas for the $50.00 the other stores would charge I could not. The problem was that the fish would not eat, so it died. As Tony says low salinity is no problem. It is murder on inverts though, so parasites literally blow up. But most certainly other inverts that you might want to keep need very careful acclimation. :D

chicki
12-10-2002, 07:17 PM
I kinda take it for granted that all LFS are probably running their salinity as low as they can. I aclimate real slowly.
The other places I deal with here (A.I. and PJ's) have always held fish for me. Infact PJ's put a majestic in a totally separate tank for 6 weeks for me! They are more expensive, but sometimes it's worth it. I also have dib's on a white cheek that came in 3 weeks ago. They are holding it till I get back from Mexico on the 21st!! no problem. A.I. also will hold fish for quite sometime and have a really good quarantine setup. Plus their pricing is pretty good.
I guess I was just a little surprised at Big Al's policy. I was just cycling a QT a while ago and had maybe 5 days left before being able to add something...asked if I could buy the fish and if they keep it till then, and they wouldn't.

Samw
12-10-2002, 07:42 PM
I've had extraordinarily good success with my fish from Big Al's in BC. I do notice lower salinity from other LFS's.

Aquattro
12-10-2002, 07:54 PM
One day I want to see one of these LFS's that quarantine. Mine does...for about 3 minutes in a bucket. Then into the tanks they go. This has been the case in every single store I ever visited. As far as I know, it's never been done. I mentioned it once to my LFS. I thought she was gonna pee her pants laughing!!

Josh23
12-11-2002, 12:10 AM
I have bought a couple fish from Big Als in Calgary and both have done fine in my aquarium, although they were both tank raised clowns.

I to like Aquarium illusions in Edmonton. Last time I was there I visited there location and was quit impressed. The people there were friendly in fact a guy brought in a tang which he had purchased at a another LFS that was sick and the owner offered to nurse it back to health. Not only that but the owner said that if the tang recovered the customer could have it back for free. Hows that for service. I thought its was a great little store although there selection was a bit limited they and the live rock didnt have any coraline algea much like most Calgary LFS, and was expensive$$$$$$.

BCOrchidGuy
12-15-2002, 07:37 AM
I've had nothing but BAD Luck with fish from Big Als, I have a LFS just down the street from me and once they get to know you if they get in something you would want they put a hold on it and phone you to find out if you really do want it. If you do want it they will hold it for a week for you until you can get in to pay, after it is paid for they will hold it for you for up to two more weeks. I pay for the fish and then watch them for a week, if the fish dies in their tank they replace it.