PDA

View Full Version : Tomini Tang + Goby = Possible?

Moogled
05-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Do you guys think the Tomini will rain destruction on a Yellow Watchman Goby? He previously chased a rock blenny relentlessly and nearly killed him by starvation.

Will the same thing happen to a YWG? I know it's possible because the two fish are similar, but I'd like to hear some opinions and predictions. Some blennies leave each other if they're different color enough (or so I'm told) so I wonder if the yellow color will give the goby enough leeway to survive.

EmilyB
05-05-2007, 06:22 AM
I really have trouble imagining a tang bothering a goby, what size tank are we talking here?

Moogled
05-05-2007, 07:47 AM
They're being kept in a 33 gallon.

I fully realize the circumstances of keeping a tang in a smaller tank and kindly ask that this thread be kept about the goby only.

Emily, would you say that the Tang's previous aggression towards the rock blenny is based on the lack of algae or grazing food available? I have some nori that I could put in the tank once a day if that might help.

I'm just not sure if the tang would percieve the YWG as a resource competitor. Hopefully the YWG eats frozen food (the blenny never did) and doesn't try to go for the tang's food?

Tangman
05-05-2007, 04:58 PM
They're being kept in a 33 gallon.

I fully realize the circumstances of keeping a tang in a smaller tank and kindly ask that this thread be kept about the goby only.

Emily, would you say that the Tang's previous aggression towards the rock blenny is based on the lack of algae or grazing food available? I have some nori that I could put in the tank once a day if that might help.

I'm just not sure if the tang would percieve the YWG as a resource competitor. Hopefully the YWG eats frozen food (the blenny never did) and doesn't try to go for the tang's food?
SORRY , to not keep the thread topic to the goby , but ,
The SIZE of the tank is what is ,most probably , causing the tangs aggression in the first place, It doesn't have any thing to do with food .
Just my opinion, and I am sure others will agree

EmilyB
05-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Tangs have to have grazing. Your best bet for the moment might be to rearrange the rock, make sure you create some nice new caves. Feed nori absolutely. Then find a bigger home for that tang....there's not much you can really say about the goby. :wink:

Moogled
05-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Both very reasonable opinions. I know that 33 gallon is a bit unorthodox so I just didn't want another tang police fight breaking out.

Thanks for your responses guys :D. I will try to add some more rock into the tank and provide more grazing foods.

BTW, whenever I clip nori in the tank, it seems that they only nip at it occasionally, but by the end of the night all the nori is gone. Could it be disintegrating in the water and just being wasted or should I take it out after a certain amount of time regardless if the fish munch on it or not?

naesco
05-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Get the goby but find a home for the tang.
33 just doen't cut it. Sorry

EmilyB
05-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Clips suck. Elastic band it onto something. I use a piece of PVC with a hole drilled in. Tie with a line to your clip and stick the clip on the outside of the tank. The nori won't break off and float away if you strap it well with the elastic band.