PDA

View Full Version : How to attach mushrooms?

supersmile
05-03-2007, 06:40 PM
what is the best way to attach mushrooms to rock? I have tried using string to tie it to the rock but it still isn't latching on??? Any other suggestions?

Ruth
05-03-2007, 06:46 PM
You can try a fine netting (like used in wedding veil) to wrap around the shroom and rock and then remove it once the mushroom is attached. You can also sew the actual mushroom to the rock. Obviously you cannot sew the rock but you can put the needle and thread right through the mushroom and then tie the thread to the rock of your choice.

Delphinus
05-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Onion bag mesh works awesome..

Canadbis
05-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I use elastics and leave them for a few weeks. Just dont wrap the head as it might split

saltaddict
05-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Put some liverock rubble in a jar or cup and submerge the jar in your tank. Throw some mushrooms in the jar and after a couple weeks remove the jar from your tank. Then glue the rubble peices to the rocks you want mushrooms on. :biggrin:

TRS
05-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Here is what I do to attach mushrooms:

- Place crushed coral and rubble into a small container (such as a cream cheese, sour cream or margarine containers);
- Fill the container with aquarium water;
- Toss in the mushrooms;
- Use the bridal veil trick with an elastic band to the top of your container;
- Sink the entire container to the bottom of your frag tank or reef tank;
- Wait about a week or so for the mushrooms to attach to the container substrate;
- Remove the mushrooms from your container and glue them to larger rocks or frag plugs.

HTH

Todd
05-03-2007, 07:56 PM
I had some small small pieces of mushrooms floating around from when I went away and my return pump started blowing air onto a large fuzzy mushroom. I put the mushroom pieces into the betta tank with some rubble, and am waiting for them to grow / attach. I am glad to see that this is a good idea!

I have also used the elastic method with good success on larger mushrooms

Delphinus
05-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Some mushrooms are really bad for elastics, even loosely wrapped they'll eventually cut through. I think the mesh idea is the best guarantee, as long as they don't get blown off the rock they'll eventually attach on their own, and then you can remove the mesh.

Snappy
05-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Here is what I do to attach mushrooms:

- Place crushed coral and rubble into a small container (such as a cream cheese, sour cream or margarine containers);
- Fill the container with aquarium water;
- Toss in the mushrooms;
- Use the bridal veil trick with an elastic band to the top of your container;
- Sink the entire container to the bottom of your frag tank or reef tank;
- Wait about a week or so for the mushrooms to attach to the container substrate;
- Remove the mushrooms from your container and glue them to larger rocks or frag plugs.

HTH
I like this idea

04scoobysti
05-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Has anybody tried using surgical needles and cutting an elastic band into small squares, then sticking the needle thru the elastic band, thru the frag to be attached and into the live rock. The piece of elactic keeps pressure on the frag till it attaches.

supersmile
05-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Should the mesh be firmly wrapped around the rock and mushroom or just let it float in the mesh with the rock and it will eventually attach?