PDA

View Full Version : they gotta get here somehow

King of the Sea
05-03-2007, 06:02 AM
has anyone successfully got livestock shipped from the states or anywhere else i must have looked at 200 different sites nobody does it. i wonder how much trouble u get in for smuggling fish across the border?

andsoitgoes
05-03-2007, 06:45 AM
has anyone successfully got livestock shipped from the states or anywhere else i must have looked at 200 different sites nobody does it. i wonder how much trouble u get in for smuggling fish across the border?

oh, just jail :)

depends on what it is you bring across the border. CITES is pretty scary and unless you know what you're doing, it's not worth the risk.

Why not just talk to some LFS or even some like J&L - if it's a fish you're willing to cross the border for and potentially get arrested on your way back, why not just see if they can bring it in? Honestly, places like J&L, Hidden Reef, Ocean's Aquatic - they have mad connections and are worth going to visit just to see what stock they DO have - and it might save you from jail time and a fine about 3,000 times more expensive then the fish you wanted :)

What are you looking for anyway?

UnderWorldAquatics
05-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Live rock, coral, are Cites protected... Pretty much all fish and inverts in our hobby are not on Cites controlled lists.... Have all livestock properly ID'd when crossing the border.... On that note.... Support your local shops (I notice your in Kelowna, for us, Vancouver area is local)

Gools
05-03-2007, 11:45 AM
There was a guy in town here who brought up Live Rock from the states, the company shipped it here, it went through customs and everything, took 6 days I believe. Only problem is he posted in a thread of someone wanting to do the same, told them his experience. The LFS reported him to customs. And they came and seized his rock. I'll ask him which company shipped it up. I forget who it was but they said right on there front page they ship to Canada.

Oscar
05-03-2007, 12:54 PM
(I notice your in Kelowna, for us, Vancouver area is local)

I notice some posters from Kelowna. I am in the reserach stage at this point. Where do you normaly get your hardware and livestock supplies?

Doug
05-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Not sure why anyone would wish to purchase livestock orders from the US, when out Canadian stores carry everything? Just the list of our sponsers alone, should be enough for anyone?

I know here in Manitoba, it would have to be a weird order, to not be able to find it at one of the Winnipeg stores like SWC, FishGallery or Prairie Reef. Even 15yrs. ago, I could find most stuff at the lfs I dealt with in Winnipeg. It was major equipment that I had to order from the USA

Okguy
05-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I notice some posters from Kelowna. I am in the reserach stage at this point. Where do you normaly get your hardware and livestock supplies?

If you're in the research stage I would suggest going on a road trip to Vancouver and hit all the stores down there to get ideas. Something I wished I had done before starting to purchase materials up here. Usually things are about 40-80% cheaper down there. That way you can get ideas on what things should cost before purchasing locally. That said I would really try and support the local stores. I think it's a shame that a population the size of the Okanagan doesn't have more selection. By buying locally maybe the number of shops will increase......

Locally there is Reef Keepers in Kelowna http://www.reefkeepers.ca/
I've heard it's run out of someones basement (I've never been)

In Vernon there is AJ's. He has a really nice display tank (for ideas) plus 4-5 tanks of corals and 4-5 of fish. Things are a little costly there but if you know what it should cost AJ is usually willing to bargain (especially if you're buying a lot). I got most of my equipment and livestock from him but usually had to negotiate to get the prices down.:mrgreen:

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Oscar
05-04-2007, 04:31 AM
Thanks Kevin, I have not been to AJ's before. I will check them out next time I am in town.

I have visited reefkeepers and I will probably visit again.

UnderWorldAquatics
05-04-2007, 05:06 AM

I ran a specality marine business for bout 5 years, I import my own stuff now.
Might get back into it again, see how my health does....