PDA

View Full Version : Got some questions... 1st SW tank

er.nurse
12-10-2002, 01:24 AM
Hey guys,
Well this is my first SW tank; I’ve kept FW for 10 yrs. I’ve looked though a lot of the posts, now I’ve got some questions and need some opinions.

I’ve got a 35g tank that i want to make SW
I want to keep some clowns and an anemone.

Equipment to be used:
Emp 400 filter
Skilter 250
Power head 170 g/hr
Ebo heater
Power compacts @ 4-5watts /gallon (not exactly sure on the total watts yet)
Crushed coal substrate

Questions:
Will the equipment do?
What is the total lbs of live rock needed?
Any other fish suggestions?

Thanks guys....

Troy F
12-10-2002, 02:12 AM
Welcome to Canreef. My better half is just finishing her degree in nursing.

Will the equipment do?

Not really, or at least not the way I'd do it. I'd make a change on your choice of protein skimmers and add more circulation. For keeping anemones light is important so the sooner you figure out how much light you have the better. Type of substrate is important depending on what you are going to do with it. If it's just for aesthetics (shallow layer 1"<) any type is fine but it's generally thought that if you go with a deeper sand bed a super fine calcium based sand is preferable.

What is the total lbs of live rock needed?

As much as you think looks good. Probably around 30-50lbs. It varies with the density of the rock.

Any other fish suggestions?

You could have a couple of nice fish in a 33gal to go with your clowns. Maybe a firefish or dottyback. Lots of choices really. I'd suggest you hold off on the anemone until you really understand the goings on. At a later date you may decide you don't really need one or will have a better understanding of what they require.

Recently there was a suggested reading list thread. I'd advise you to read John Tullock's book The Natural Reef Aquarium. It has some fairly decent info on anemones and the collection impact on them and their clowns.

SuperFudge
12-10-2002, 02:18 AM
Welcome Nurse ! :lol:

If you are in the Vancouver area,you are more than welcome to borrow my Copy of the Book Troy speaks of.

Good luck with the new system,

Troy F
12-10-2002, 02:27 AM
Marc, you know not all nurses are female right? 8)

PS: They don't wear those sexy outfits with the stockings and garter belts either :?

Josh23
12-10-2002, 03:22 AM
If you are going to use a canaster filter you should remove all the media and just use it to circulate your tank. The live rock will take care of the filtration for you. The reasion for this is simple. The media will become a nitrate factory causing unwanted algea blooms.

er.nurse
12-10-2002, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the replys guys! Grealty appreciate it...
And no sorry,,, no sexy nurse uniform...hahaha, so your out of luck Fudge...hahaha

Troy: I know SW gets expensive... And its not really the place to skimp on $$ but is there an inexpensive skimmer out there that will do the trick? How about a seaclone?
The lighting is a power compact 110w 2x55w bulbs should i go white bulbs for both 10,000 or one 10,000 and a 50/50?
There is fine crushed coral at the lfs which i was thinking about, and also bags of childrens play sand at the local hardware store, would play sand work for a DSB?

Fudge: Im no where near BC, actually completly the other end of Canada....hahaha so i guess i will not be getting alone of the book...Thanks anyway, i check out the tread..

Josh: You said to take out the media... so should i just use filter floss in the empty slots, no carbon at all??? or should i fill it with bioballs??

Sorry for all the questions guys, but without this board Id be lost!
Greatly appreciate it guys!! :D

Bob I
12-10-2002, 03:25 PM
Just a note on what Josh said. The live rock will take care of biological filtration, but has no effect on mechanical filtration. I have found that a SW tank rarely needs mechanical filtration, so media is not needed.

I myself do not use a skimmer, but there are some bad words directed toward both the Seaclone and Skilters. :D :D

ron101
12-10-2002, 06:13 PM
Should i go white bulbs for both 10,000 or one 10,000 and a 50/50?
IMO color temperature is largely esthetic. Personally I don't notice that big of difference between 10,000K and 50/50s. Any combination of either will be fairly white in appearance. Using either one with an actinic will give a more blue result that many prefer.

would play sand work for a DSB?
Some types will. If you are fortunate to have Southdown play sand in your area, that would be perfect. Otherwise have a look at sugar or oolitic sand (.5-1.0mm particle size) at your lfs store so you know what you 're looking for.

Is there an inexpensive skimmer out there that will do the trick? How about a seaclone?
Not really. The entry-level skimmer that I recommend is a CPR BakPak 2R. That said I did run a 33 gal bubble tip anemone setup with 2 powerheads, a skilter, a 3-4" DSB, and 3x75w VHOs for several months without problem. However this was a well established tank with a light bio load. So it can be done - you just don't have that 'insurance' that a decent skimmer provides.

Like Troy said, hold off on the anemone at first. Get your tank setup and established. Clowns do not have to have a host. Once you get your feet (and floor :roll:) wet with reefkeeping and your budget allows, get a decent skimmer, add a 3rd 55w PC (or go to dual 96w) then look at adding one of the hardier anemones.

HTH

er.nurse
12-10-2002, 07:14 PM
im expecting a light bio load, 3-4 small fish and an anemone (down the road).

So should i use the emp just for water movement? Is there no need for filter floss?

Any opionon on the bio balls? I head that they caused problems with spiking the nitrate or amonia...i cant remember which..

I guess if I dont need the emp i can just use a skimmer and two powerheads?? Is that right??

I'll have to decide on the skimmer, I dont want to skimp, but Im trying to do this on a budget, which I know is not the ideal way to do it....

So many decisions.... :?

Josh23
12-10-2002, 08:39 PM
ah well the ideal rate of water flow is to turn over that water at least 10 times per hour. There are a couple options available to you.

Circulate with powerheads although this does not allow you to add mechancial filtration during cleaning (not really needed although I do it)

Circulate with powerheads and your canster which would allow you to add mechanical filtration when needed, or carbon when needed.

Build a sump which is the best option. Most of us use this and it houese all your equipment such as your skimmer, heater, and return pump.

I wouldnt use bio balls let your live rock do the work.

As for the skimmer Im not a expert as I made the mistake and bought a seaclone and it works ok but if I had the option to do it again I would have put out the dollars and bought something better.

Dont forget to cycle your tank as well before adding any fish. Just add the live rock and wait till your ammonia, nitrates and nitrites spike and then go down before adding anything to the tank. Even then I would add snails before fish.

I would definitly recomend going for sand over crushed coral. It allows for the disposal of Nitrites. As for play sand I dont know that I would recomend it as I dont believe it performs the same function as Carbsea sand.

I Believe most of the information above is correct and Im sure if its not other people on this board will correct it as well as add to it.

Josh

er.nurse
12-11-2002, 11:10 AM
Thanks Josh!

er.nurse
01-08-2003, 07:38 PM
how about the red sea prism skimmers......anygood??? Im about to order in a couple of days..

sumpfinfishe
01-09-2003, 05:07 AM
Hey e r nurse, if you would like my opinion- I would say go with a prizm or bakpak skimmer, they are both rated for 50 gl so either would do just great. I have been running a prizm on my 27 gl now for the last nine months and it works like a charm-one of my best reef buy's :!: When I kept a nice green carpet in my reef(1 year) I found that it was beter to have just clowns as with a smaller tanks like mine- you don't want to loose fish as they swim into the anemone. I had great success with the carpet, so much that it outgrew my tank. So a better choice would be a bta as long as you have sufficient light. A good read on clowns and there host is "clownfishes" by J. Wilkerson if you haven't already. Checkout my webpage for a run down on my setup too. Goodluck and Happy Reefing :D

Hey Fudge, I think it's "Miller Time" don't you :?: :wink:

er.nurse
01-09-2003, 11:22 AM
thanks a lot. ill definitly pick of the prizm then, thanks.. :D