PDA

View Full Version : What is happening to my Kenya Tree?

supersmile
05-03-2007, 01:13 AM
It looks like my Kenya Tree has a brown slime on it. It also hasn't been opening the last 2 days. I do have a frogspawn that is dying in the tank could that be affecting my coral? Everything else in the tank seems fine. Do you think I should remove the Kenya tree or frogspawn before it starts affecting the rest of my tank?

BMW Rider
05-03-2007, 01:32 AM
They do that sometimes for no apparent reason. Don'r panic, it will likely get over whatever it's issue is. Mine has gone through those moods once in a whille too and has always come around again just fine.

supersmile
05-03-2007, 01:41 AM
Yeah the last few days it has been shedding too.

Ruth
05-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Kenya trees sometimes do funny things but for the most part they are a fairly hardy coral.
That being said, you mention that you also have a frogspawn that appears to be dying so IMO you should take some water tests and post them to see if you have a water quality issue.
The things you should check are:
Nitrates
PH
Calcium
Magnesium
Alk/dkh
If you could post the actual #'s you get from these tests it might help to identify if you have a water quality problem.
If you don't have these test kits or cannot borrow them from a friend then maybe take a sample of water to your LFS and have them test if for you.

andsoitgoes
05-03-2007, 02:16 AM
I agree with Ruth - Frogspawns (and other softies like that) will go yucky if you even TOUCH them (trust me, I just had to do some adjusting of mine in my main tank and it wasn't happy, shrivled like a big softball sized fist!)

Anyway - water changes, removal of problematic corals and such should help - the fact that your Xenia is doing so well is a sign that your tank isn't doing too too bad!

supersmile
05-03-2007, 03:33 AM
My readings are as follows:
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Those are the only tests I have