PDA

View Full Version : True Perc and Clarkii

likwid
05-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of adding a Clarkii clown to my setup. Currently the only other fish is a true perc, which is the exact same size as the Clarkii at the LFS. How will these two interact? Will they be aggressive towards eachother or become friendly?

ponokareefer
05-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Clowns don't like other clowns being introduced into the same system, so expect some fighting. What size of system do you have? If it is large enough, they will usually stake out their own territory, and occasionally challenge each other for the territory.

likwid
05-01-2007, 09:48 PM
It is only a 10 gallon. It is in a 20 gallon at the LFS and it is with another true perc, and they both seem to be doing fine? Anyone else have any thoughts.

Quagmire
05-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I agree,don't do it, especially in a tank that small .One will end up dead.

marie
05-01-2007, 11:05 PM
clarkiis are not nice fish and they get pretty big. If you want another clown try a smaller true perc :biggrin:

PoonTang
05-01-2007, 11:11 PM
I had a Clarkii in with 2 perc's that were 1/2 his size, they beat the crap out of him and wouldnt let him come out to feed. I had to remove him and he now lives in my quarintine tank.

Okguy
05-01-2007, 11:29 PM
It is only a 10 gallon. It is in a 20 gallon at the LFS and it is with another true perc, and they both seem to be doing fine? Anyone else have any thoughts.

I wouldn't. Not in a 10 gallon. My 2 each have half a 50 gallon tank and it's barely enough. They got along fine for about a year and now it's nearly constant fighting. I'm tempted to remove one; the hard part is deciding which one.

andsoitgoes
05-02-2007, 04:34 AM
no way - don't do it, I agree with everyone else here, you're just asking for a problem in that small of a tank.

likwid
05-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I will not get him. What if I got another true perc for my current one? Is there a chance they would pair up? The ones at the LFS are a bit smaller than my current one, would that be a problem?

ponokareefer
05-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Getting a clown of the same kind is hit and miss as well. I added a false perc to the one I had in my tank and they fought for about 4 months until I added 2 cinnamon clowns. They then paired up against the cinnamon's. I guess the enemy of my enemy is my friend. My coral beauty played referee until things cooled down, taking shots at the more aggressive cinnamon clowns when they would start a fight.

likwid
05-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Interesting, I thought clowns were all fairly peaceful. Anyone else know if it will be ok to add another true perc to my tank?

likwid
05-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Or anyone else suggest a different fish to add to the tank? I would like to limit it to just 2 fish since it is only a 10 gallon. Would it be best to go with another perc, or something like a goby?

fishoholic
05-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Clown fish usually will not get along with each other unless they are already a matched pair. A clown goby would be a good addition, because of their size clown fish leave them alone (you can only get one, two would fight).

ponokareefer
05-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Check out March's POTM for a good idea! Beautiful little fish.

likwid
05-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks, any other suggestions for fish to keep with a perc?