PDA

View Full Version : Bullet 1 or Tunze 9010

saltaddict
04-29-2007, 05:56 PM
I just set up a 120 Gallon and need to upgrade from my AquaC remora. I have very limited sump space (baffles 6" apart) and not so much cabinet space either. $$ is also a factor.

I like the Tunze 9010 as it has a has a small footprint and the Precision Marine bullet1 as it can be mounted inline (ie behind the tank). Both skimmers are the same price.

Can anyone who has personal experience with either of these offer me some pro's or cons on these skimmers and suggestions?

Also the Tunze is rated for 240G as the bullet is only rated for 150G. Are these ratings accurate? Should I get the Tunze for this reason alone?

marie
04-29-2007, 06:01 PM
I have no personal experience with either skimmer but I have been looking at getting a tunze. Here are some links on the tunze :biggrin:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30063

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TZ5333

Quagmire
04-29-2007, 06:37 PM
You will need a high pressure pump to run the bullet,and it will be noisy. The Tunze will be more energy efficient.

Skimmerking
04-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Talk to Doug he has the tunze model and thinks it runs alot better in the tank then in the sump something to think about...

andresont
04-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Tunze for sure but i would go for the biggest unit

Slick Fork
04-30-2007, 04:55 AM
I've got the tunze,

Absolutely love it. It skims better for me in the sump than it did in the tank, but I think Doug is having the opposite experience with his. Mine skimmed fine in the tank as well, just does better in sump for me! Very small foot print, when I had it in the tank I actually never noticed it, very quiet, very energy efficient. If you look at the tunze website, they give you a bit of a guide as to how they rate their skimmers... the 240 gallons is for a softy tank, I believe they say if you want sps than take 60% of the rated capacity and that's the new rating... but double check on that at their website.

saltaddict
04-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Doesnt the bigger one have a larger collection cup...and thats all? For $100 more? or am I wrong?

Tunze for sure but i would go for the biggest unit

Doug
04-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Yes, thats the primary difference between the 9010 & 9015. The larger cup has more height, which allows running more air and not getting a real wet foam.

I,m very happy with my 9010 and its great for a limited room/height sump area. It skims well. I would think it skims as well as a smaller beckett but of course one can drive them like crazy, depending on pump size.

I have had several becketts, several needle wheels and the various assortment of skimmers, most of us started with, trying to save money. My Tunze is as good or better than most of the ones I used, except for the larger becketts w/ Mag 24/Mak4 or Mak5 type pumps. Which of course only makes sense, with the amount of high pressure and volume of water being processed by them.

As for the sump versus in tank, mine does better in my tank but I only tried in in a sump the one time and perhaps never had it operating at peak efficiency. I may switch it back there soon and see.

The Precision Marine becketts are also top quality skimmers but a totally different aspect of skimming, with the obvious being larger and running larger/higher wattage pumps, compared with the low wattage and so far very efficient Turbelle pump in the Tunze.

If I ever set up a larger tank again, {150g and up}, I would go back to the becketts before a needle wheel and not be cheap on the pump. After seeing the difference in a 28in. beckett being driven by the Mag 24 or Mak 4 and then using a Mak 5, which darn near doubled the production. That would be my preference. But for anything else, I like the Tunze.

I dont know its upper end though. I would agree it depends on tank load and if its sps or softies etc. than can handle higher nutrients.

andresont
05-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Sorry my bad i did not know that.
research always good thing to do before making a desision.

Doesnt the bigger one have a larger collection cup...and thats all? For $100 more? or am I wrong?