PDA

View Full Version : DIY In Sump Stand for Protein Skimmer

Palster
04-29-2007, 04:34 AM
I finally got my 135 gallon system running today. Tomorrow I plan on installing my Euroreef RS 180 skimmer in the sump. I need to come up with some type of stand to set the skimmer on in the sump. My sump is 12 inches deep and this skimmer is designed to sit in no more than 8 inches of water so I need a stand approximately 4 inches high. Does anyone have any suggestions for a simple stand that I can build to set this skimmer on (the footprint of this skimmer is 11" by 13.5"including the skimmer body and pump). I have considered possibly cutting a plastic pail so that it is approximately 4" high and setting the skimmer body on this and also using a smaller plastic container cut to 4" under the pump, but if anyone has a better suggestion please let me know.

MikeP
04-29-2007, 05:27 AM
I've never made one but I think the most common way is to build something out of eggcrate or acrylic.

andsoitgoes
04-29-2007, 06:08 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31048

Do what I *didn't* and fill it with LR, you've got yourself a sexy beast!

Be careful you've got room to have put a filter sock, that's the mistake I made.

albert_dao
04-29-2007, 07:55 AM
I run my RS180 in 14" water with no problems...

Palster
04-29-2007, 02:53 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31048

Do what I *didn't* and fill it with LR, you've got yourself a sexy beast!

Be careful you've got room to have put a filter sock, that's the mistake I made.

I like the idea of using the egg crate as it is easier to assemble than using acrylic but I was curious as to why you covered it with landscape fabric? Also what would be the advantage of filling it with live rock? I do have a separate refugium area in my sump where I plan on having some live rock and eventually some cheato. The sump that I built is made from a 50 gallon tank with 3 separate sections (skimmer chamber, return chamber, and refugium).