PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers

Kronk
04-29-2007, 02:16 AM
Ok some basic questions that i have before upgrading my skimmer...

What makes euro reef (arguably) the best skimmers ?
What makes them better than something like a CSS-125, is it the pump size/ capacity that allows them to pull out more junk?
What would people recommend as an excellent skimmer for a 50-60g system with an "average" bioload?

Thanks,
Ken

RonPeter
04-29-2007, 02:20 AM
Do you have a sump or are you looking for HOB?

Kronk
04-29-2007, 02:35 AM
I will have a sump but only a 20g so if it hangs on the side of the sump that would be cool.

Ruth
04-29-2007, 02:40 AM
I have never owned either of those skimmers but I have been on a number of reef boards for a couple of years now and have read various reviews of skimmers.
I think without a doubt the "best" skimmers are Bubble King, H&S and Deltec. They are also without a doubt the most expensive. I own all 3 and can attest to their quality build and ability to pull out massive amounts of gunk - although I have not had the H&S hooked up yet I have no doubt that it will perform well.
I also have an ASM G4X and have to say for the $ it is a great skimmer. Apparently it is not built of the same quality material that a Euroreef is and I do know that I would not trust it not to leak if I decided to run it external.
I think you will find that you pay for quality and long life. Usually the pumps, design, and workmanship will be superiour to some of the cheaper skimmers. As with most things you get what you pay for.
I have of course run the gambit with HOB skimmer, - Remora, Remora Pro, Prism and finally ended up with a Deltec. No question that this is the superiour skimmer in terms of workmanship and performance.
Just my measly 2 bits.

crystalz
04-29-2007, 05:42 AM
Why are you looking at upgrading? Maybe there is a better alternative than upgrading your skimmer. I have the same skimmer only smaller (super skimmer 65) in a 30 gal sump/fuge for a 77 gal main tank. (fish and reef setup) I find this one is more than sufficient. I've left my tank for months without water changes (on occaision) and still had very low nitrates...no ammonia...no film on the top of my water...etc... Although the super skimmer doesn't rate very highly I don't see myself ever upgrading... though I've seen some much nicer units I've been tempted to buy just based on esthetics and ratings.

Kronk
04-29-2007, 03:43 PM
I dont own a CSS i was just wondering why the euro reef rated so much higher... right now i have a prism and it really isnt doing a very good job even with the mods done to it. It skims but i am upgrading to a bigger tank with more fish so i need a better skimmer. Thanks for the reply i have heard mostly good things about peope who own CSS next time one comes up for sale i might go for it, probably just get one that overrated for the tank.

Snappy
04-29-2007, 04:47 PM
I have never owned either of those skimmers but I have been on a number of reef boards for a couple of years now and have read various reviews of skimmers.
I think without a doubt the "best" skimmers are Bubble King, H&S and Deltec. They are also without a doubt the most expensive. I own all 3 and can attest to their quality build and ability to pull out massive amounts of gunk - although I have not had the H&S hooked up yet I have no doubt that it will perform well.
I also have an ASM G4X and have to say for the $ it is a great skimmer. Apparently it is not built of the same quality material that a Euroreef is and I do know that I would not trust it not to leak if I decided to run it external.
I think you will find that you pay for quality and long life. Usually the pumps, design, and workmanship will be superiour to some of the cheaper skimmers. As with most things you get what you pay for.
I have of course run the gambit with HOB skimmer, - Remora, Remora Pro, Prism and finally ended up with a Deltec. No question that this is the superiour skimmer in terms of workmanship and performance.
Just my measly 2 bits.
My next skimmer will be one of these that Ruth refers to, I presently have an Aquamedic and it does a fair job but I know it's nothing like a Bubble King or Deltec.
What size is your tank?

Kronk
04-29-2007, 05:13 PM
With tank and sump it will be around 70gallons. Softies and LPS, 2 clowns, hectors goby, two spot blenny (these guys are so small shouldnt even count as bioload) shrimp, crabs, maybe another small fish or two.

albert_dao
04-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Euroreef's trump CSS skimmers due to better design (better materials, construction, no microbubble problems, better neck union, etc) and a better pump (more reliable air draw vs the RIO's that the CSS skimmers are using).

No one who has owned a Euroreef or better will ever go back to a CSS.

robzilla
04-30-2007, 03:05 AM
i'm going from a css to a pm bullet 2. havent set it up yet but will keep you posted as to my thoughts on this unit

andresont
04-30-2007, 03:18 AM
I woildnt buy anything for less then 500$ (new). From the all skimmers that out there if you want good performance you will have to pay.
The only alternative is to buy a cheeper product, loose money and spend more on better unit.
So in a way if you buy good staff right away you save yourself time money and endup having good product that will sell easy and hold value.
JM2CW

crystalz
04-30-2007, 05:43 AM
k now I understand your reason for upgrade (prism...say no more). If I was upgrading I would consider looking at a downdraft skimmer. You can check out the E.T.S.S. Reef Devil at www.aquacave.com . Seems to me that this style of skimmer is far superior to venturi... Reasonably priced, and they've taken size/design into consideration

albert_dao
04-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Downdraft performance is largely based upon pump selection. Keep that in mind when deciding on one of these units.

kadaytar
04-30-2007, 02:22 PM
If your tank is around 50-60 G and you don't have a big fish load Aqua Medic Turbofloter ML will do a great job for that size of tank. Brand new price may be a little expensive but probably you can find a used one around 150 bux.

tang daddy
05-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Ken saw your post and thought I would remind you of the conversation we had a couple weeks ago. Go with a good skimmer!! be a man do the right fing.
Confucious say bigger skimmer giv you lots of skimmate, I showed you the diff basically the bigger pump produces more micro bubbles thus betta skimming look at the gunk the E.R. pulls out in one day compared to the C.S.S. in 2 weeks. I might think of pickin up another skimmer soon if you don't have one by then my css220 will be yours.
Cheers Chris

Kronk
05-02-2007, 04:11 AM
HAHAHA yup i remember seeing the E.R dominate over the CSS which made me start this post.
What makes euro reef (arguably) the best skimmers ?
What makes them better than something like a CSS-125, is it the pump size/ capacity that allows them to pull out more junk?
I was just curious if there was another good option for my tank. Thanks for the replys so far. As to the Prism skimmer its not doing a BAD job i have zero nitrates zero ammonia in my tank and i feed a LOT. But i am going to increase the number of fish i have so its time to upgrade.