PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

Ruth
04-28-2007, 07:07 PM
This might have been done before but - one of the joys of being old - I can't remember so I thought I would start it up again.
I always wonder at some of the user ID's that appear and what prompted people to choose that particular name.
I mean mine is pretty basic and after much thought and consternation I choose "Ruth" because - well.......that's my name:redface: I know not original or anything but at least, for now, I can remember it.
So share your secrets:mrgreen:

OCDP
04-28-2007, 07:30 PM
OCDP ...

While most people seem to think (and I can't blame them) that OCDP = Obesessive Compulsive Disorder Person.

However, OCDP = Orange County Drum & Percussion. A really great drum company out of.... orange county.... they make some of the most innovative drums and drum designs. Being a drummer myself... I like the company and decided to use it as my name across many boards.

Doug
04-28-2007, 07:40 PM
:mrgreen:

mark
04-28-2007, 08:45 PM
it's my name

Der_Iron_Chef
04-28-2007, 09:47 PM
"Der_Iron_Chef" combines two great loves of mine: Cooking (and, subsequently, the TV show, The Iron Chef) und die deutsche Sprache (and the German language)!

I chose this name five years ago while living and working in Germany. I also use it for my online blog and pbase photography site.

christyf5
04-29-2007, 12:35 AM
The first email account I signed up for didn't allow me to go with just christy and I didn't want to make people type out my last name. Apparently there were 4 other christys that signed up before me. I started using it for all the BBs I signed up for because well it was a struggle to come up with anything else (sometimes I'm not very original :razz:).

I remember StirCrazy thought it was because I kept hitting the F5 button which refreshes the page as I am constantly on here (however I refresh the page using the IE refresh button) :mrgreen:

Scavenger
04-29-2007, 02:18 AM
When I was starting my very first reef tank, I found this site when I'd just gotten in my clean up crew. I was watching a hermit crab and thought to myself, "Reefing is just like that hermit crab. You have to sift through tons of *&^% before you find something you need or want." Hence the name Scavenger.

Johnny Reefer
04-29-2007, 03:19 AM
Explanation on my user name is in this thread....

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25640

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-29-2007, 03:41 AM
Have always loved seahorses.:biggrin:

Went for 3 months without them & bought another 4 captive raised kudas for my frag tank:biggrin:

Anthony

Quagmire
04-29-2007, 03:56 AM
Named after my first reef tank

skylord
04-29-2007, 06:01 AM
This is a nick name given to me in High School. They also called me "sky" a lot and I use that one too. I flew my first radio control airplane when I was about 5 yrs old. I started building balsa kits shortly after that. Got my first radio when I was about 12 yrs old by the time I got into high school I was doing stunts with planes that impressed my friends. I got the nick name in 1970. I was rear ended a little over 2 years ago and it did permanent damage to my optic nerve so I cant fly anymore yet I still have about 50 airplanes and 8 helicopters.

Scott

woodcarver
04-29-2007, 06:28 AM
:) :) :)

.....................................Dave

andsoitgoes
04-29-2007, 06:30 AM
"Der_Iron_Chef" combines two great loves of mine: Cooking (and, subsequently, the TV show, The Iron Chef) und die deutsche Sprache (and the German language)!

I chose this name five years ago while living and working in Germany. I also use it for my online blog and pbase photography site.

It's a very unique name, I remember before really starting to post here, I saw yours come up on some random reef forum that had next to no activity, small world I say!!!

Anyway - mine is a weird combo, it's a mix of a Kurt Vonnegut saying from Slaughterhouse Five (so it goes...) and just my mantra of life!

I'm disappointed, I figured Ruth's name would be far more exciting! :P

I'm interested in seeing the reason for EmilyB's name.

Oh, and Quagmire - Giggity.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Nick--heh, really? You saw my name somewhere off in the randomness that is cyberspace? Well, I DO get around. Uhhh....

I like "andsoitgoes". Cause....yeah. It does. :-)

Der_Iron_Chef
04-29-2007, 06:43 AM
And Woodcarver/Dave. WOW! Crazy skills.

Ruth
04-29-2007, 03:39 PM

WOW - those are beautiful. Do you carve other animals besides birds? Do you sell these carvings?

Ruth
04-29-2007, 03:41 PM
This is a nick name given to me in High School. They also called me "sky" a lot and I use that one too. I flew my first radio control airplane when I was about 5 yrs old. I started building balsa kits shortly after that. Got my first radio when I was about 12 yrs old by the time I got into high school I was doing stunts with planes that impressed my friends. I got the nick name in 1970. I was rear ended a little over 2 years ago and it did permanent damage to my optic nerve so I cant fly anymore yet I still have about 50 airplanes and 8 helicopters.

Scott

Sorry about your eye damage:sad:
Interesting that my brother's nickname is also Sky and he probably got it in the 1970's as well - but because he is tall.

woodcarver
04-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Chef and Ruth ...............Thanks for your kind remarks :) :)

Ruth ,Yes I do sell them ,the falcon, eagle head ,and barn owl all were sold in the U.K. ( my brother has a carving studio there )
The mallards on the table I have kept .
I have not carved other animals yet !

..........................Dave

Ruth
04-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Ever think about trying................oh I don't know.............A CUTTING HORSE?

woodcarver
04-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Ruth ,Now that would be a serious challenge !!

Interesting to see other peoples reasons for their monickers !! ( or is that an old fashioned description :))?

......................Dave

mark
04-29-2007, 08:22 PM

I'm impressed, wow!

justinl
04-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Dave, those carvings are amazing! in fact im a little skeptical that they're not actually real birds...

my name's another obvious one. justin. hi. that's me.

EmilyB
04-29-2007, 08:59 PM
EmilyB (the B was for Bad) was my first doberman. She was so devoted to me and I loved her dearly. Using her name was like an alter ego for me, and gave me a lot of confidence.

Now you will find I will answer to Deb or Emily. :lol:

andsoitgoes
04-29-2007, 09:29 PM
EmilyB (the B was for Bad) was my first doberman. She was so devoted to me and I loved her dearly. Using her name was like an alter ego for me, and gave me a lot of confidence.

Now you will find I will answer to Deb or Emily. :lol:

now see THAT makes sense! Confusing to most people I'm sure, but it DOES make sense!

I've been debating on going for something different next forum I register with. Guybrush_Threepwood brings back many good memories from years past.

Zylumn
04-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Mine is a little different name but has an amusing origin. Many years ago my little niece was about 5 or 6 and for a couple years she had a lisp. One day we were bugging each other when she said "Your crazy Uncle Kevin" I returned with "no your crazy" She countered "you belong in a crazy hospital" I said "you mean an insane asylum" And she said" Yes a zane zylumn" Well we laughed about that for a while and it stuck in my head. Some time later I was playing an online game and wanted to be alphabetically last so used this name. I learned I never needed to be zylumn1 or zylumn101 whenever I needed a login name somewhere; so it has stuck with me for many years. And your right "What is in a Name" fo me.
Memory of a 5 year old niece.

Skimmerking
04-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Well Mine is neat and I have always liked it since my Dungeon & Dragons days when I wsa a young scamp.

ASMODEUS: ITs actually HEBREW for POWER!!!!!!!

And with Dungeon and Dragons Asmodeus is the most powerful Devil that you will come across in the 9 plains of Hell. of the lesser gods. so there and my name is Mike and Michael if Bev is talking to me........:wink:

Delphinus
04-30-2007, 03:25 AM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/JAD/TALLP01%7EDelphinus-Delphis-Posters.jpg

(Ok old picture now since the tank's not quite this empty anymore, .. but .. check out above the tank. I've had this poster for nearly 20 years now. I love Talbot's photos..)
http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/FW/progression/water.jpg

One of my favourite Talbot dolphins shot was one surfing the bow wave of a huge ship .. unfortunately the years weren't quite as kind to that poster, I need to get a new one of it.
Woodcarver - those are insane! I agree - I'm not convinced those aren't real birds you just took a picture of. :p Very nice!!

andresont
04-30-2007, 05:34 AM
I have a painting , that was drawn by a dolphine in the aquarium.
They gave him a brush and he just went on painting! Then another brush with different color. looks pretty good to me.
Let me know if you'd like a picture of it.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/JAD/TALLP01%7EDelphinus-Delphis-Posters.jpg

(Ok old picture now since the tank's not quite this empty anymore, .. but .. check out above the tank. I've had this poster for nearly 20 years now. I love Talbot's photos..)
http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/FW/progression/water.jpg

One of my favourite Talbot dolphins shot was one surfing the bow wave of a huge ship .. unfortunately the years weren't quite as kind to that poster, I need to get a new one of it.
Woodcarver - those are insane! I agree - I'm not convinced those aren't real birds you just took a picture of. :p Very nice!!

woodcarver
04-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Thanks Justin and Tony for your kind comments . Yeah ,some of the kids think they are real and want to touch the feathers :)

Great poster Tony . The two shots show quite different colours on the poster .Which is closest to true ?

....................Dave.

andsoitgoes
04-30-2007, 06:08 AM

well now, that's pretty awesome!!!

How much do you charge? Wife and I were looking at the owl thinking that it'd be *GREAT* to have on our deck!!!

wetcoast
04-30-2007, 06:17 AM
My email address - or was. Now have moved. Should probably try to change my username I suppose :)

Der_Iron_Chef
04-30-2007, 06:38 AM
I almost went with "Drewcifer". While working at a high school boys' dormitory at a boarding school overseas, I received that name. I could be tough, and when I was....watch out for....the Drewcifer. Mwaaa haaa haaaa...:twised:

Delphinus
04-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Great poster Tony . The two shots show quite different colours on the poster .Which is closest to true ?

I never thought much of that but yeah wow that's quite a different hue to it. I think the picture of the one of my wall looks basically like the real one on my wall, but the linked in photo was from a website that sells the posters so you'd think that would be pretty accurate. Maybe mine has faded out over the years (it's just drymounted, no frame or glass, so I guess the odds it being not faded after 15-16 years or whatever it is, are not that good.. :lol: )

woodcarver
04-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Hey Tony ,Could also be the ambient light in the room amazing how different the colours appear under ,natural ,fluorescent or tungsten lighting. Just painted a bedroom and all the walls look a different shade !!!

....................Dave

woodcarver
04-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Nick , With respect I don't think you would want to put one on your deck :)
Though I might be wrong ................................
They take almost a month to make as ,after the carving process and contouring the feather groups , each barb of each feather is burned into the wood as close as possible with a pyrographic pen and then painted with repeated thin coats of acrylic paint until a deep hue appears !!
The carvings need to be handled almost like a real bird as even the moisture from your hands can spoil the finish .
Sorry Ruth , Did not mean to make your thread a carving course :):)

............................Dave

Ruth
05-02-2007, 02:25 AM
They take almost a month to make as ,after the carving process and contouring the feather groups , each barb of each feather is burned into the wood as close as possible with a pyrographic pen and then painted with repeated thin coats of acrylic paint until a deep hue appears !!
The carvings need to be handled almost like a real bird as even the moisture from your hands can spoil the finish .

Carry on with the carving course - not that I will ever attempt it as the entire carving would just be BLOOD RED. Now let's talk cutting horses:biggrin: :biggrin:

skylord
05-02-2007, 03:36 AM
Why would you want to cut a horse.....carving a tree branch sounds more humane. :razz:

Scott

andsoitgoes
05-02-2007, 03:50 AM

--------------------------

oy!!!!

THAT would explain why they look so beautiful, hatchai matchi, well good work, maybe one day I'll add one INSIDE the home!!

You have a website with more pics??

woodcarver
05-03-2007, 04:35 AM
Hey Guy's , This attention could become addictive :)
Thanks again Nick. ( No , Sorry I do not have a website )
Ruth , You seem to be very attached to cutting horses ! Do you partake of that discipline ? My brother -in -law is an addict and takes part in many competitions.
Strangely enough ,if you used my method for carving, you would probably be quite safe . After cutting out the profiles on a band saw( side view and top view) I then do most of the detail shaping with a Dremel using different shaped burrs and cutters . I find I have more control this way,although traditionally carving knives are used.
One of my posting names was painter and I include an acrylic of my daughters' house in Toronto that I recently finished .

................................Dave

Ruth
05-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Hey Dave - yeah a recent addict to the sport of cutting. I have been to a few competitions this year and am heading out to one this weekend near Edmonton.
I am quite sure that I could manage to mangle my hands if I tried anything like that but WOW you have amazing artistic talents.
Do you frequently sell your work? And like mentioned above do you have a website?

Snappy
05-03-2007, 04:47 PM
I was a Snap-On Tools dealer for 15 years (and still was when I registered on Canreef) and many of my customers called me "Snappy" so I thought I would use that on most of the boards I frequent. Easy for me to remember.
I agree, nice stuff Dave

woodcarver
05-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks Greg !
Good wishes for this week -end in Edmonton ,Ruth .
No I have not sold any paintings yet , just the carvings , and I don't have a web site .
........................Dave