PDA

View Full Version : CPR Overflow CS50

daddy01
04-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi,
Just got a min refugium up and running on my 30G reef, using a 10G tank underneath (one flood so far), but I find it noisy and quite a bit of bubbles. Has any one any recommends to quiet the thing. The noise (most of it) is from the output into main tank as is the bubbles. I submerged the output which did make it quieter but with power outage it syphons main tank into 10G tank ie the flood.
Any other recommendations. I have hearing impairment but my wife can hear a pin drop blocks away.
Jim

bsyoun
04-27-2007, 10:00 PM
I've got a similar set up as you (i.e. 30g tank w/10g sump).

I've also submerged the output of my return into my main tank, but to prevent flooding during a power outage, I had cut a hole just below the waterline on the submerged output. When power goes out, some water is siphoned back into the sump, but as soon as the waterline of the main tank goes below the hole, the siphon is broken and a flood is averted. Just make sure that the sump isn't too full.

For more detailed info, you probably want to check out http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html .

Cheers,
Ben

daddy01
04-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi Ben,
Thanks for reply would it be possible to send me a Photo of your setup? Just curious. I modified the out put with 30 degree elbows instead of ninety and kept part aabove waterline, that fixed my syphon prblems and quieted it down also. My wife is my tester as I am hard of hearing and she isn't so when she gets home I'll know for sure.
Thanks for the advice
Jim

bsyoun
04-28-2007, 02:01 AM
Hi Jim,

My sump return isn't much, but it works for now. It's just tubing attached to a powerhead. I'm planning to change the set-up to something more reliable and sound.

As you can see from the picture, the tubing goes into my tank and I've cut a hole right under the waterline. As a result, when the power goes out, some water from the main tank will siphon into the sump, but as the waterline lowers it eventually goes below the hole, thereby allowing air to enter the tubing and breaks the siphon. This picture didn't turn out too clear, but I tried to draw an outline of where the hole and the waterline are. I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ben