PDA

View Full Version : Backup power units?

marcingo
04-27-2007, 08:29 PM
I have heard of these. Basically I need something that will always be plugged into the wall that I can plug a powerhead and heater to. When the power goes out the powerhead and heater automatically run off this unit for a certain time. When the power comes back on it automatically charges the unit. I would like it to not be some giant generator. Is there such a thing out there and if so anyone know where I can get it and what its called? Thanks.

Psyire
04-27-2007, 08:47 PM
What you are looking for is a UPS. (Uninterupted Power Supply)

They are most commonly used for computers, so you can check out any computer store or website for more info. (APC is one bigger manuf.)

marcingo
04-27-2007, 09:06 PM
I took a class in computer technology arent those UPS's a couple thousand dollars?

If not do you know how long the average one might be able to run a powerhead and heater?

Kryten
04-27-2007, 09:10 PM
No, they're not nearly as expensive as that. Well, you can probably get them for that much if you really want to, but check this (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10084308&catid=23278) out.

marcingo
04-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Great thanks very much- I guess the ones I learned about were for servers and such. Good to know there is a cheaper route. Thanks again.

04scoobysti
04-27-2007, 09:15 PM
on APC's website they have runtime charts for each unit according to the wattage* being used Link (http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13)

marcingo
04-27-2007, 09:18 PM
thanks.

justinl
04-27-2007, 09:52 PM
i use an APC for my tank but i only run one powerhead on backup power. the other things i put on surge protection. I don't see the need for 24/7 heating as the heater will really suck up power fast. water movement is more important imo. besides, you can just put hot water in a water bottles and float them if the outage is long. or just plug in/out the heater every half hour or so.

marcingo
04-27-2007, 10:19 PM
That makes sense. Have you ever ran your backup unit? How long did it run your powerhead? The APC site does have charts on times but you never know how accurate they are.

justinl
04-27-2007, 10:42 PM
*hangs head in shame* lol i don't actually know, even though i know i should test it. there were a few overnight power outages for a few hours each and i know the unit ran beautifully for each. how long would it last until the battery actually ran out? on a single MJ 1200, probably a pretty lengthy amount of time. mind you, after a while, when temperature gets to be a consideration (winter) then you may have to add a heater into the equation if you got no hot water (a good fire and an old school kettle still works though!).

marcingo
04-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Now that I think about it you can always warm up the water but you cant have a powerhead in there. That sounds good then if it worked for at least a couple hours.