PDA

View Full Version : Auto shut off skimmer collector questions?????

Canadian Man
12-08-2002, 10:06 PM
So The auto collector shut off thing's that many sell-canreef ones for example.
Do they work only on beckett skimmers?
I have a monster venturi skimmer that overflowed this morning for some reason and I want to figure out a failsafe for this.

Oh BTW I think the possible reasons are nori in the tank as I have not had any in there since I added the skimmer.
Or I just did a 25g water change yesterday
Or something spawned last night(snails for example).

Thanks

StirCrazy
12-08-2002, 10:57 PM
They will work on any air skimmer, venturie or what not.. all they do is have a float (usaly a ping pong ball) that gets lifted to block the air outlet when the skimmet level gets to high.. thish shuts down the air escaping from your overflow and usaly supresses the bubbles and leaves you with just a flow throught the water part of the skimmer.

Steve

Canadian Man
12-09-2002, 04:19 AM
So for that to work there would have to be no air exit holes in the skimmer top and the skimmer top would have to be air tight...correct???

StirCrazy
12-09-2002, 04:23 AM
corect.. the hole in your skimmer top would be your drain hose into the colection cup.

Steve

Canadian Man
12-09-2002, 04:25 AM
So there is a 1/4" or so output on the bottom of the collector cup.
There are 3 smaller holes in the lid of the skimmer and the cap just snaps on and off. So the cap is kinda a tight fit but not completley.

For this to work I would have to plug the holes, which is easy but how the heck can I get the cap to be sealed.???
HMMM I suppose I could make a flange for a cap???

StirCrazy
12-09-2002, 04:28 AM
yup.. hmmm what aboput silicone :lol: seriously you have to fine a way so that the little hole in the bottom is the only way out.

Steve

Canadian Man
12-09-2002, 04:28 AM

Delphinus
12-09-2002, 04:15 PM
I'd go with a flange, you're gonna want to clean that cup from time to time ... :)

Canadian Man
12-09-2002, 06:49 PM
Clean My skimmer????
I don't do that kind of stuff....I just build a new one :lol: :roll: