PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Shrimp Tank

Moogled
04-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Hey guys, I "kept" a g. Smithii rather unsuccessfully in the past (read: 4 hours) and I think it's time I gave mantis shrimp another try.

For all you owners out there: what suggestions do you have? I have an extra 33 gallon tank and 20 gallon tank sitting around. The first thing that comes to mind for me is having a smasher of some type (since keeping spearers is impractical), and I've found myself particularly fond of Peacock mantis shrimps.

How much live rock do I need in each tank and what's the maintenance like?

Any mantis tank shots would be awesome!

rudy
04-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Don't be stupid Marco. Get the darn pea**** at Oceans;)

33 gallon a few pounds of live rock, a sand bed and an ac 500.

Just do your water changes and you won't need a skimmer.

rudy
04-27-2007, 08:06 PM
I forgot to mention get a pvc pipe as a burrow. I know some people hate them but they need it in the long run to prevent shell disease (keeps the light out during a molt).
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31750&highlight=mantis
Here are some pics of my japiconus tank which is like a pea****. My pea**** lives in a 54 corner bow reef tank so I will get some pics this weekend

justinl
04-27-2007, 09:33 PM
just note that a large (six inches and over) pea**** :eek: could very well smash glass. you could get away with thick glass though (at least 1/3 inch).

Since you want a smasher, set up the tank appropriately before introduction. Never add a mantis to a tank that hasn't cycled.

If you don't like pvc, then no problem. add LR (very roughly 1 lb per gallon). sand bed of 2-3 inches. rubble (pea sized rocks). keep lighting low.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-27-2007, 09:37 PM
oops. disregard.

Moogled
04-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Don't be stupid Marco. Get the darn pea**** at Oceans;)

33 gallon a few pounds of live rock, a sand bed and an ac 500.

Just do your water changes and you won't need a skimmer.

Sweet. Does a barebottom mantis tank work? Maybe I can pick up a piece of starboard because I really think that a sandbed would make my maintenance harder.

I also thought of a solution to the glass problem. For my front panel of 33 gallon, can I insert of a piece of acrylic the same size? Perhaps that would be practical under the assumption that the Pea**** will hit the front panel most often because that's where the action is.

Also, lol@censors.

justinl
04-27-2007, 11:29 PM
BB has been done before with pea****s however it is not generally recommended. Pea****s usually like to build themselves a cave in the sand under the LR. so despite the fact that maintenance will be required, your mantis will at least have a nice home. if you go with a sand bed use oolitic sand, not crushed coral or silica. crushed coral and silica are much too abrasive and will, over time, wear on the pea****.