PDA

View Full Version : pm bullet 2 skimmer - questions before setup

robzilla
04-27-2007, 02:57 AM
just picked up this skimmer to go into my 90g then into a 120g when i get a chance to set it up
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/robzilla_01/100_0037.jpg

what are some things i need to consider, should do.....
this type of a skimmer is new to me and any ideas would be great
going to be running it with a gen x pcx 40 pump.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/robzilla_01/Picture101.jpg
looks like it will fit, just barely under my tank. the return line will go back into the sump with a straight piece of pipe and then an elbow down.
could the pump be plumbed in with an upside down "U" type of piping or semi rigid piping into the sump for the intake? the pump will below the level of the sump's water line. is this correct or does the pump need to be above the sump's water level?

Delphinus
04-27-2007, 03:15 AM
When I first set mine up, first, with the air valve closed, I adjusted the gate valve so that the water line was about 1/2 in the main chamber. Then I opened the air valve all the way and adjusted the gate valve again so that the interface between the fine bubbles and the large bubbles was again about 1/2 way.

I can't keep my air valve open all the way though, the bubbles get too large and the skimmer burps and doesn't get good foam production. I have my air valve ever-so-slightly closed and it seems to create a more steady-state.

You'll have to find the right adjustment for yourself but basically with that interface line, up higher means a wetter foam, down lower means a drier dirtier foam.

I have to open my skimmer up once a week and wipe the mud out of it, the insides get a good 1cm layer of mud on the sides.

Joe Reefer
04-27-2007, 02:00 PM
I am currently running a Bullet 3, here (http://www.precisionmarine.com/assets/applets/Bullet_Series_LoRes.pdf) are the instructions for your Bullet 2. I found mine very easy to start up and tune.

robzilla
05-03-2007, 04:38 AM
where do you have yours setup? i am trying to set it up under the tank but the space is only 25". enough to fit in but the return line, according to the instructions must be level or go down. in my tank, it would have to rise 10" to get back into the sump.
yours plumbed outside of the tank?

Delphinus
05-03-2007, 04:44 AM
I have mine sitting on top of my sump, which sits in behind the tank. Indeed it's not really the best for sitting under a tank because it has to exit downwards or level.

spikehs
05-04-2007, 05:11 PM
I was thinking of getting the bullet 1, and putting it under my tank.. it'd have about 3 or 4 feet of head to get to the sump.. would there be any problems with this?

thanks!

fishmaster
05-04-2007, 05:25 PM
I was thinking of getting the bullet 1, and putting it under my tank.. it'd have about 3 or 4 feet of head to get to the sump.. would there be any problems with this?

thanks!
If you mean that the skimmer would be 3-4 feet under your sump, it would overflow. Dont't forget that a skimmer it open topped and it's water lever is determined by it's outflow level.(or a valve).

spikehs
05-04-2007, 05:34 PM
If you mean that the skimmer would be 3-4 feet under your sump, it would overflow. Dont't forget that a skimmer it open topped and it's water lever is determined by it's outflow level.(or a valve).

damn, forgot about that!! hmm... guess I'll have to have a small sump or something then...

robzilla
05-04-2007, 06:47 PM
thats my dilemna right now. i have room but the outflow from the skimmer must be level or down. it can't go up

Delphinus
05-04-2007, 08:04 PM
If you could make a little stand for the skimmer so that the bottom of the skimmer sits maybe 1" below the water level in the sump, and then if you still had the room under your stand, that should work ...

I've never been able to run my beckett skimmers under the stand though, too tall! I have them sitting in behind the tank basically.

robzilla
05-19-2007, 03:32 PM
i've got this unit up and running now, and have a few questions:
at times the foam is at the top and then most of the time it's half way up the large riser tube.
ive got the water set at 1 1/2" up the first large riser. the air valve at 5-5:30 as per the instructions.
does this sound normal??
any thoughts?

robzilla
09-03-2007, 09:31 PM
When I first set mine up, first, with the air valve closed, I adjusted the gate valve so that the water line was about 1/2 in the main chamber. Then I opened the air valve all the way and adjusted the gate valve again so that the interface between the fine bubbles and the large bubbles was again about 1/2 way.

I can't keep my air valve open all the way though, the bubbles get too large and the skimmer burps and doesn't get good foam production. I have my air valve ever-so-slightly closed and it seems to create a more steady-state.

You'll have to find the right adjustment for yourself but basically with that interface line, up higher means a wetter foam, down lower means a drier dirtier foam.

I have to open my skimmer up once a week and wipe the mud out of it, the insides get a good 1cm layer of mud on the sides.

thanks tony, it's been trial and error but i'm following your advice and having the water level 1/2 way up. i'm finding good skimmate production.
thanks for the tips!!