PDA

View Full Version : plumbing sump/refuge

daddy01
04-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi,
I have a 30X12X21" tank set up and am adding a 10 gal sump/refuge underneath (hopefully) that has two chambers one with macro algae in it hopefully to stabalize nitrates etc.
I have purchased a CPR overflow box for the main tank, and a mag-drive model 2 utility pump (250 GPH) for return.
Is this an overkill situation? The return system is only 36 inches from main tank to sump. I am contemplating using 1" PVC for CPR overflow, and 3/4"(?) PVC with elbows for return, will the elbows create to much back pressure?
Jim

pat
04-26-2007, 03:43 PM
What size(flow)is your overflow box,the return pump seems small to me "250gph",once you ad the head plus elbows you will have very little flow,maybe 150gph.What do you keep in your tank?

daddy01
04-26-2007, 03:47 PM
hi Pat,
the cpr overlfow is the cs50 model rated at 300GPH.
right now i only have Bubble coral, frogspawn and mushrooms, Firfish clown, and damsel fish with shrimp and hermit crad cleaning crew.
Jim

pat
04-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi Jim
Well this is only my opinon,You would be better off in getting a pump that will be rated higher (600gph),some poeple will say way its more money,but honestly it's worth it,espessaly if you plan on having a refugium.

Your box is rated for 300gph,so keep in mind that you will have to T off to your refugium,then onthe pipe that goes up to your tank,add a ball valve,i will try to post a picture of what i'm talking about.

pat
04-26-2007, 04:22 PM
I hope this is not too small.
Thats picture is a rough sketch of my diy sump and plumbing
The blue is the sump and pannels.
The red is the return pump.
Black is plumbing.
Gray is ballvalve.

Hope this helps out

daddy01
04-26-2007, 09:52 PM
well I took the plunge and hooked everything up and lo and behold it worked, with one drwback noise! The CPR overflow was NOISY and it must be noisy as I have a hearing impairment and can't hear worth a damn and I heard it from across the room.
Jim

Quagmire
04-27-2007, 12:12 AM
I would stay with the small main pump.But if its the only source of flow,maybe add a pwr head.

daddy01
04-27-2007, 03:03 AM
quagmire,
I have a Fluval 304 and a maxi-jet (hooked up to a wave thingy) already installed. My water flow I beleive is sufficient for my setup. I was just trying to polish up the sytem with the above method.
Jim

Quagmire
04-27-2007, 01:52 PM
For what you have in the tank you don't need a huge amount of flow,so yes what you have now should be good.Just make sure to clean up uneaten food and waste when you do a water change.I have no idea how to quiet down your overflow,but maybe ask in the reef forum.I'm sure someone has dealt with the same problem.