PDA

View Full Version : Adding more live rock to established system

likwid
04-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Hey guys,

Im looking to add some more live rock to my 10g nano. It has been up and running for about 6 months now, and am wondering what the process would be to add new rock and avoid a dangerous cycle?

Thanks

vanreefer
04-25-2007, 11:55 PM
generally if the rock is well cured there should be no cycle... I have heard that you should only add ~ 10 % of the current amount of rock in your tank eg. you could only add 1lb if you had 10lbs in there.

That being said I have added ~ 70 lbs of cured rock to a 180gal that had about 100lbs in it with no ill effects.

I think most people will have an opinion on this one... Like everything else in this hobby if you can stand going slow it is always better in the long run

just my .02

likwid
04-25-2007, 11:59 PM
I would take it slow if I could, but I have too many small live rock pieces and want to add a bigger piece or two to help the aquascaping. A 1 pound piece of rock wouldnt really help me much. Anyone else have any tips?

04scoobysti
04-26-2007, 03:03 AM
i just doubled up my rock when i moved from a 10g to a 20g, i also doubled up my live sand too. No ill effects on the tank inhabitants (corals and fish), just a little bit of a cyano outbreak. So i think you'll be fine with adding cured rock and doing it all at once. You may not even suffer any noticable effects, i had way more variables that could have caused my outbreak.