PDA

View Full Version : Convert avi to DVD

wayner
04-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Can someone advise what is the best free program on the internet to convert movies from avi format so I can burn them on a DVD.

Thank You

Canadbis
04-24-2007, 07:26 PM
As opposed to doing all that work, go out to Walmart and buy the Phillips DVP-642 player. Then just burn all of your AVI's to cd and watch them on the phillips. It plays just about everything you could throw at it. and they also allow you to download firmware for it from the site to keep up with the codecs.

MikeP
04-25-2007, 01:52 AM
I agree with Canadbis. I searched for a long time to find conversion software but couldn't find anything that was free. A friend told me about something called CovertXtoDVD but it wasn't compatible with my Mac. If you have a PC though try googling it but like all the software I found for PC or Mac after a trial period you will have to buy it. Anyway I gave up and bought a DVD player that plays avi files. The one I got is a Panasonic that also has upcoversion for better picture (only good if you have an HD TV) and it has worked great so far. It retails for $150 (but I had a $75 futureshop gift card :)) I'm not sure if it can download codecs but that sounds like a really good feature to have so I'll have to check.

HTH

robert
04-25-2007, 03:12 AM
Can someone advise what is the best free program on the internet to convert movies from avi format so I can burn them on a DVD.

Thank You

On Mac use iDVD that came with your OS X. On PC you may use video maker (http://www.videodvdmaker.com/download/vdm_free.exe) freeware version, not as nice as iDVD, but works just fine.

MikeP
04-25-2007, 05:22 AM
I didn't have any luck with IDVD, but I still have a lot to learn :). I'll have to goof around with it some more. But for now the new DVD player is pretty easy, just burn a data disc and put it in. Plus the upconversion is nice to have.