PDA

View Full Version : moving tank. need help and suggestions

tbone
04-24-2007, 05:58 AM
hello, i'm woundering if anyone in edmonton area would be willing to hold on to some fishes for me for awhile i'll be moving over the weekend, and need sometime to setup my tank,

i'm afraid my tank may go through a cycle and my fishes wouldn't make it.

maybe someone would be able to give me some suggestion on their moving experience

what i was thinking to was to find a big rubbermaid bucket and put all the live rock in there, but the only problem is i may not be able to put my skimmer in there,

i currently have a 90 gallon tank, 30 gallon sump and a spare 50 gallon tank.
current fish i currently have right now are.
dottyback, bicolor angel fish, clown fish, 2 damsels and a Royal Gramma

Zylumn
04-24-2007, 06:25 AM
Can you set up the 50 and a decent canister filter, some LR and skimmer. Keep your LR in water and move the 90 over, set it up with the lr and as much water as you can move. You should not have a cycle, just watch temps.
I'll can only help with advice as I'm too far away to lend the back. Good luck!!
Kevin

TRIX
04-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Good luck to ya. I just did it with 14 rubbermaid tubs. Man did that suck. Make sure you put as little as you can in each tub for weight and the splash factor. And put down a big plastic sheet in the vehicle first. And many hands make lite work.

tbone
04-24-2007, 05:35 PM
thanks for the tip guys,

man this is going to be a pain, moving the tank + everything in the house....

christyf5
04-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Hehe I just moved too. I can commiserate with the number of rubbermaid tubs (although I think I only had about 8-10 :wink). The most important thing is temp IMO. I pretty much needed a whole day for mine. Luckily I had the opportunity to take extra time with my move so I spent one weekend moving my stuff and the next weekend I moved the tank. As long as you keep everything wet you shouldn't see much of a cycle.:biggrin:

tbone
04-24-2007, 09:18 PM
does anyone have any salt buckets that i can borrow.

or some rubbermaid :P

i think may new setup i'll be going BB tank, speaking of which does anyone one know where i i could find some?

Zylumn
04-24-2007, 10:04 PM
I went to a Tim Hortons near by (they knew me well LOL) and bought 15 x 4 gal buckets that were food containers with lids for a buck a piece. A 4 gal bucket is nice as you can lift and carry it easier. You will notice towards the end of the move.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Home Depot also sells big plastic buckets for very cheap. I think it was Home Depot. Maybe Rona? Hmmm...fat lot of good I'm doing! Anyway...just an idea.

tbone
04-30-2007, 06:10 PM
well the move went well.. kinda.

i've manage to move all the water, rock and fishes in the 50 gallon tank, dumped all the sand out.

thank you for everyone input.

andsoitgoes
04-30-2007, 07:02 PM
congrats!!! Must have been fun fun fun!!! ;)

I concur with everything I"ve heard, rubbermaid containers are far better than buckets - there's more surface area and more secure with the sloshing here, there and everywhere. That's what I'll use when we do our move, and I'm going to get a few inverters to keep powerheads and a heater going in the tank. Luckily we're moving all of about 10 - 15 mins away, so it won't be too bad - I say this now, but hey - I moved the tank here with almost as much stuff!

I will use buckets for the rock for the most part though. Fun times!!