PDA

View Full Version : Full tank and misc.

Ruth
04-24-2007, 03:05 AM
A couple of people have asked if I would post a FTS and I got around to taking an updated one tonight
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/FTSApril2007.jpg

Random corals
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/IMG_4464.jpg

A table that was totally brown a month ago

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/Table.jpg

I love this teal acro that is in the background - it has the richest color but does tend to collect some algea

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/Forest.jpg

I just about tossed this monti but glad I didn't as it has started to come back and it is a really cool coral - bright green with purple polyps
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/Monti-2.jpg

hershey
04-24-2007, 04:01 AM
wow sweet tank! how big?

andsoitgoes
04-24-2007, 04:30 AM
Ruth! Why did I always think you have a FOWLR?

That tank rules - "If the tank is a rockin', don't come a-knockin!" ;)

Delphinus
04-24-2007, 04:41 AM
Wow Ruth! Awesome! :)

Snappy
04-24-2007, 04:44 AM
Looks great Ruth. Is that a hot pink pocillipora in the first picture middle RH side?
That monti in the last picture will grow pretty quick if it's what I think it is; M verrucosa.
Mine like that are spreading quite fast.
Did any of those frags you got from me last Sept make it?

justinl
04-24-2007, 04:45 AM
dammit all! I hate people like you! now i have to go spend more on my tank!:mad:

lol love the tank.

Ruth
04-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Hey thanks guys. The tank is a 110g cube that I bought last year from Snoop Dog. It has been doing so well and i am very pleased with the color and growth I get from this tank.
I did run the zeovit system on this tank for about 2 months and I attribute that to getting this tank really kick started and low nutrient. I did have some problems with PO4 and nitrate when I first set it up that attribute to using old rock that was leaching it out. Once this was dealth with it has been good.
Yeah that monti that I thought was a goner is growing really fast and that is the name I bought it under.
Greg - yes those frags that I got from you are for the most part still in there and have been growing great. Some of them are in the far back corner so are hard to see although some are right up front in the frag forest. And yes that is a pink pocci that has the most amazing color although I am having a bit of an issue trying to find the exact right place in the tank for it. I have some parts on the undersides that are fading and bleaching. I would love to get more pink in this tank so if anyone has anything pink or rose that they would like to sell please let me know.
Andsoitgoes I also have a FOWLR (and anemones) (190g) and a Fish and Softie tank (230g) as well as a 12g nano, a 10g nano and a 20g nano at work. The 10 and 12 are going to come down though as I just struggle with algea too much in small tanks. Just have to find new homes for the fish currently in them.

christyf5
04-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Wow Ruth, your tank looks fantastic.:biggrin: Those pinks really pop. Are you still running zeo?

muck
04-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Tank is looking great Ruth.
A super Yellow Stag or Bright Green Bali Slimer would be an awesome color addition as well. :cool:

andsoitgoes
04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
ah - okay, I thought so!!

So glad you didn't give up on this, your tanks are kicking so much rump, now where are the pics of the OTHER tanks?? ;)

Andsoitgoes I also have a FOWLR (and anemones) (190g) and a Fish and Softie tank (230g) as well as a 12g nano, a 10g nano and a 20g nano at work. The 10 and 12 are going to come down though as I just struggle with algea too much in small tanks. Just have to find new homes for the fish currently in them.

Snappy
04-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Ruth,
IME one of the biggest things with most corals in the Pocilloporidae family is flow. Good random flow is important, especially with stylo's. They do like light but they don't usually have to be right at the top as is the case already in your reef. Depends on the shade of pink you want. Just make sure no other corals in the area are displacing flow that needs to reach that piece. I'm glad to hear those frags are doing well.
I might have some pink stuff we can talk about later.

rusty
04-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Looks pretty sweet Ruth, Nice and full!!! :biggrin:

michika
04-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Very awesome as usual!

I love the variety of color, and the fact that you only keep two (is it two?) firefish in the tank. In general I just love the set up and the shape of everything!

Ruth
04-25-2007, 04:24 PM
To answer a couple a questions - I am not using the zeovit system on this tank any more because I have been out of town too much and this summer looks like it will get even worse. I do still dose the Amino Acids and Pohl's coral vitalizer that are part of the zeo system. I will try and go back to the full zeo system next winter if it looks like I will be around more to maintain it.

I actually have 3 fish in this system, 2 firefish and a mandarin dragonette. The mandarin only eats pods so I try to add Arctipods about once a week to suppliment his feeding although this is a very popular choice on the menu as the firefish, shrimp and rotten hermits seem to really go after this as well.

I feed every other day and alternate between flake and a homemade frozen concoction and cyclopeese. I also dose with Phytofeast about twice a week - mostly for the clams.

Jason McK
04-27-2007, 01:21 AM
Look'n good Ruth.

That monti has morphed into something really special.

J

Tom R
04-27-2007, 05:06 AM
Hi Ruth

The tank looks great. I think we need a road trip. All kidding aside it is nice to see you are still in the hobbie. I thought that we had lost you a while back.

Tom R

skylord
04-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Next month I have to go to Dawson Creek for about 10 days....after day two I will need something to do. I vote to put Ruths tanks on the tanks tour. :biggrin:

Scott

Ruth
04-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Hey thanks:mrgreen:
You guys are more than welcome to come and view my tanks - send me a pm and I will give you my phone #. I am in Calgary for part of next week and my job does frequently take me out of town but if I am around we can view my tanks and I probably have some suggestions for things to do in the lovely Peace River Country.
Tom I have offered to put my tank on the tank tour - heck I have even offered to host a reef meet but no one wants to come:cry:

Snappy
05-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Hey thanks:mrgreen:
I am in Calgary for part of next week
If you are in Calgary give me a shout. Maybe you can take a few frags home with you.