PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for my nano

andsoitgoes
04-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Officially today my nano is an invert only system.

I thought that it made it through from the power outage, well - the corals did, but the fish didn't.

Within the span of a week, I lost my firefish (he jumped) my Hectori and, the sadest, my avatar - Schmuckers, my wonderful bi-color blenny - my very first and favorite nano fish died.

I didn't realize it until just the other day that he had a rough case of Ich - now whether that was due to the Firefish or Hectori, I don't know - but he had it nonetheless, and I didn't catch it in time. He was eating incredibly well, but obviously it wasn't enough and I found my emerald crab "cleaning up" when I went looking today.

Good to know that I have a fish that takes good care of the waste in the tank, and I know why I wasn't able to find any other fish in there when I thought they were gone - but sad day for me, and I feel pretty pitiful.

He was a little angel, and had so much personality - that's TWO of my fav fish gone (I lost my fav freshwater) - and it's pretty much a bummer.

I'll keep the tank free of fish for another month, I figure that will let the ich cycle its way out, and then I'll add something else. Who knows what, but it won't be the same time without my schmuckers.

:(

**the loss of these guys would also explain the massive cyano buildup I wasn't able to explain. Kasigh.

Quagmire
04-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Thats harsh Nick I feel for ya.I think you're right about the cyano.

Ruth
04-24-2007, 01:24 AM
Nick I am sorry for you loss - you often wrote about Smuckers and I know you were attached to him.
On a side note I cannot see your fish succumbing so much later after the power outage. Usually if they are going to die from something like that it is right away, at least in my experience. I know when I lost most of my fish due to a tripped breaker overnight they were dead the next morning. The one large fish (my Naso Tang - 12-14") that did survive was not looking good the next morning. He was all blotchy and gasping for breath near the top of the tank. Within a couple of hours of getting circulation back he was just fine and back to normal and he is still cruising the tank as is my Maroon Clown and Mandarin that also survived. It could have been as you said that there was already ich in the tank and the added stress just let the fish succumb to that.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-24-2007, 01:45 AM
Sorry to hear this, man :cry:

andsoitgoes
04-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Thanks Ruth - I think you're right, and that he would have made it through it without the beat-down from the outage. Unfortunately the Firefish and Hectori were semi-recent additions (within the last month and a bit) and they may have brought some fun along with them...

I keep looking for him in the tank :(

Nick I am sorry for you loss - you often wrote about Smuckers and I know you were attached to him.
On a side note I cannot see your fish succumbing so much later after the power outage. Usually if they are going to die from something like that it is right away, at least in my experience. I know when I lost most of my fish due to a tripped breaker overnight they were dead the next morning. The one large fish (my Naso Tang - 12-14") that did survive was not looking good the next morning. He was all blotchy and gasping for breath near the top of the tank. Within a couple of hours of getting circulation back he was just fine and back to normal and he is still cruising the tank as is my Maroon Clown and Mandarin that also survived. It could have been as you said that there was already ich in the tank and the added stress just let the fish succumb to that.

Sorry to hear this, man :cry:

Thanks man - Ah well, everything for a reason!

I'm just tired of killing my poor fish! They'll start to run from me when I walk into pet shops! Oy!

Pier Pressure
04-24-2007, 09:20 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. A couple weeks ago I lost all my fish and shrimp, so I know exactly how you feel. I had this little yellow tail damsel, Sir Bites-A-Lot, that I bet you I will miss for a very long time.

Much research later I think we had the tank overstocked. Very expensive and heartbreaking way to learn a lesson.